Why is our society the way it is?

• Thread starter Avichal
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the complexities of society and questions why it is structured the way it is, including topics such as crime, social hierarchy, and the pursuit of power and fame. The speaker also wonders about the evolutionary benefits of social hierarchy and if it is necessary for society to function. However, the conversation acknowledges that these are complex questions that cannot be answered easily.
Avichal
I am asking a very vague question here but I've been pondering about it lately.

Why is our society like this? As in, why does our society has criminals, why do we have social hierarchy, why do we try to gain power and fame etc. (and lots of other things)

I cannot help but think about all this from a scientific point of view. Does having a social ladder beneficial in an evolutionary point of view? Has power and fame anything to do with it?

I am not sure what I am asking here, but basically what I want to know is: Instead of a simple society where everyone shares resources, live and reproduce, why are we living in such a complicated society? Hope I make sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are asking for at the very least a full series of college-level courses to even begin to get any solid answers to all of that. I think that's probably a bit much for someone to type in here.

Whole university sociology departments exist to study this question. I don't think you're going to get a very good answer in a single message.

Why is our society like this? As in, why does our society has criminals
For this question I'd advice: Steven Pinker: The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined.

Executive summary: because civilizing process and Leviathan (powerful gov) has some far eliminated the most of crime and not all.

why do we have social hierarchy
Why social hierarchy or why exactly the one that we have? For the second: Francis Fukuyama: The Origins of Political Order.

I cannot help but think about all this from a scientific point of view. Does having a social ladder beneficial in an evolutionary point of view? Has power and fame anything to do with it?
Rephrase the question: Does being on the top on social lader would be beneficial for you from evolutionary perspective? (I think that it such simpler question bring you answer :D )

personally, I'd like to take over cuba, transplant the locals, bring in my construction and build it into a self sustaining paradise (for the most part), bring in my version of the the 1% of the population that I like :D as I build the new world order.

until that time arrives I guess i'll have to settle on changing minds the old fashion way, with trickery and fear lol.

Likes CalcNerd
As has been said this is far too broad a question.

1. Why is there social inequality in our society?

Social inequality exists in our society due to a complex combination of factors, including historical and systemic discrimination, unequal distribution of resources and opportunities, and power imbalances. These factors have contributed to the creation and perpetuation of social classes, which can lead to disparities in income, education, and access to basic needs. Additionally, societal norms and beliefs about certain groups of people can also contribute to social inequality.

2. What impact does technology have on our society?

Technology has significantly shaped and influenced our society in both positive and negative ways. On one hand, it has greatly enhanced communication, transportation, and access to information, leading to increased efficiency and connectivity. On the other hand, it has also caused job displacement, privacy concerns, and social isolation. Furthermore, technology can perpetuate existing societal issues, such as cyberbullying and online harassment.

3. Why is there a lack of diversity in certain industries?

The lack of diversity in certain industries can be attributed to various factors, including historical discrimination, systemic barriers to entry, and unconscious bias. For example, the tech industry has been criticized for its lack of diversity, which can be attributed to the perpetuation of stereotypes and discrimination in education and hiring practices. Additionally, there may be a lack of representation and role models in certain industries, making it less appealing for underrepresented groups to pursue careers in those fields.

4. How does media shape our perception of society?

Media plays a significant role in shaping our perception of society. It can influence our attitudes, beliefs, and values through the portrayal of certain groups and issues. For example, media can perpetuate stereotypes and promote unrealistic beauty standards, leading to the formation of biased and harmful perceptions. Additionally, media can also create a distorted view of reality by focusing on sensationalized and exaggerated events.

5. What role do government policies play in shaping society?

Government policies have a significant impact on shaping society. They can address social issues, promote economic growth, and protect citizens' rights and freedoms. For example, policies such as minimum wage laws and social welfare programs aim to reduce poverty and improve the standard of living for individuals. However, government policies can also perpetuate societal inequalities if they are not designed and implemented with equity and social justice in mind.