Why is sodium citrate mixture acidic and how to test non-aqueous pH?

  • Thread starter Thread starter scientifico
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ph
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
scientifico
Messages
181
Reaction score
0
Hello, I've measured the pH of a med containing sodium citrate, potassium citrate and citric acid, why was is slightly acid if sodium citrate is basic ?
How can I measure the pH of a non acquous solution using litmus paper ?
Does some compund is, for example, basic when solid and became acid when put in water ?

thanks
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
scientifico said:
Hello, I've measured the pH of a med containing sodium citrate, potassium citrate and citric acid, why was is slightly acid if sodium citrate is basic ?

If it contains citric acid, it can be acidic.

How can I measure the pH of a non acquous solution using litmus paper ?

Technically you can't - pH is a property of aqueous solution.

Does some compund is, for example, basic when solid and became acid when put in water?

Generally speaking solid is usually neither basic nor acidic - it becomes basic or acidic when it dissolves/reacts with water.