Why is the equation for a sodium-sulfur battery reaction considered 'not right'?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Creaturemagic
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Creaturemagic
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
2Na + 3S --> Na2 + S3^2-

Homework Statement



So I have the equation 2Na + 3S --> Na2 + S3^2- (the 2- being the charge of S3)
This is the reaction generated in a sodium-sulfur battery.
And all's good there, I can see there are two electrons transferred in the reaction and I know it's a redox reaction. However when I handed in my draft for this piece of assessment, I got it back with the comment that this reaction didn't look 'right'.

The task at hand is to summarise an article (Mine being on Electric Cars) and then write four 'focus' questions and model answers. So the reaction is taken straight from the article and I just don't see how it isn't right.

Thanks for any help clearing this up, I plan to ask my teacher tomorrow, so I'll keep this updated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It could well not look right because that is not everyday chemistry - you will have seen it works in quite hairy conditions not to be reproduced in a school laboratory.

I don't know anything but looking at this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium–sulfur_battery and the book extract it looks like it's a mix of polysulfides all the way down and even further than S32- so, as they say it's a bit of a convention to fix on S32-. I expect you can get some S22- and S2-, perhaps they are not wanted.