Why Is the Value '2' Used in Calculating Coin Variance?

The variance should be (1-4)^2 * 1/4 + (5-4)^2 * 3/4 = 9/4 * 1/4 + 1/4 * 3/4 = 12/16 = 3/4 (cents squared). In summary, the bag contains a large number of coins in a ratio of 1:3 for 1 cent and 5 cents coins. The mean value of the coins is 4 cents and the variance is 3/4 cents squared. There may be a typo in the sample answer where the value of 2 is used instead of 5.
werson9339

Homework Statement

A bag contains a large number of coins comprises of 1 cent and 5 cents coins in the ration of 1:3

find the man and variance of the values of coins..
i have attached the sample ans here. i don't understand why the value of '2' is used?? why not '5' ...for me '5' represent 5 cents.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• IMG_20141016_110532[1].jpg
    IMG_20141016_110532[1].jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 360
Physics news on Phys.org
werson9339 said:

Homework Statement

A bag contains a large number of coins comprises of 1 cent and 5 cents coins in the ration of 1:3

find the man and variance of the values of coins..
i have attached the sample ans here. i don't understand why the value of '2' is used?? why not '5' ...for me '5' represent 5 cents.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think there is a typo in the sample answer. The mean should be 1*1/4 + 5*3/4 = 1/4 + 15/14 = 16/4 = 4 (cents).

Likes werson9339

Related to Why Is the Value '2' Used in Calculating Coin Variance?

What is sampling?

Sampling is the process of selecting a subset of individuals or items from a larger population in order to gather information and make inferences about the entire population.

Why is sampling important in scientific research?

Sampling is important because it allows researchers to gather data and make conclusions about a large population without having to study every single individual or item in that population. This saves time and resources while still providing accurate results.

What is the variable of X in sampling?

The variable of X in sampling refers to the characteristic or attribute being measured or observed in the sample. It represents the specific aspect of the population that the researcher is interested in studying.

What are the different types of sampling methods?

There are several types of sampling methods, including simple random sampling, stratified sampling, systematic sampling, cluster sampling, and convenience sampling. Each method has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the choice of sampling method depends on the research question and resources available.

How do you ensure a representative sample?

To ensure a representative sample, researchers must use a sampling method that allows every individual or item in the population to have an equal chance of being selected. This helps to avoid bias and ensures that the sample accurately represents the population. Additionally, the sample size should be large enough to provide reliable results.