Why is there a growing trend of ignorance towards Special Relativity?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ignorance
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
37 replies · 5K views
You are all one word god singularity stupid :biggrin:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Pengwuino said:
haha i would have been a jerk and started scaring people by telling them "how easy it is to build a nuclear bomb".
The great thing about science is that everything is easy yet hard to do. The hydrogen bomb is as easy as A + B = C, but getting it to work is really damn hard.

About SR, is any of it actually proven? When I see a question in a textbook with something like "you are traveling at 0.98c and you see a man. 2 hours later you see that same man. How much time has passed relative to the man?" and it expects an actual answer, I can't help but think some guy just pulled this out of his ass since such an experiment would be impossible to setup.
 
ShawnD said:
About SR, is any of it actually proven? When I see a question in a textbook with something like "you are traveling at 0.98c and you see a man. 2 hours later you see that same man. How much time has passed relative to the man?" and it expects an actual answer, I can't help but think some guy just pulled this out of his ass since such an experiment would be impossible to setup.

Well as to my understanding, there's particles all around us going damn well near the speed of light. Plus there's this muon that i hear is generated in the atmosphere but using Newtonian physics, it shouldn't be detectable on the ground but it is since it's going so insanely fast.
 
ShawnD said:
The great thing about science is that everything is easy yet hard to do. The hydrogen bomb is as easy as A + B = C, but getting it to work is really damn hard.
About SR, is any of it actually proven? When I see a question in a textbook with something like "you are traveling at 0.98c and you see a man. 2 hours later you see that same man. How much time has passed relative to the man?" and it expects an actual answer, I can't help but think some guy just pulled this out of his ass since such an experiment would be impossible to setup.
You are thinking wrongly, SR is about monkeys not men. How can a monkey give birth to a man? That is why SR is wrong.
 
jcsd said:
You are thinking wrongly, SR is about monkeys not men. How can a monkey give birth to a man? That is why SR is wrong.

Again, you are wrong, you clearly possesses no understanding of Spontaneous Relativity.
 
jcsd said:
You are thinking wrongly, SR is about monkeys not men. How can a monkey give birth to a man? That is why SR is wrong.
I think you just hit on the perfect reply to thoses idiots; just go...

"So what your saying is that since monkeys can't give birth to men SR is wrong? because what you just said is just as stupid!"
 
ShawnD said:
About SR, is any of it actually proven? When I see a question in a textbook with something like "you are traveling at 0.98c and you see a man. 2 hours later you see that same man. How much time has passed relative to the man?" and it expects an actual answer, I can't help but think some guy just pulled this out of his ass since such an experiment would be impossible to setup.

Whaaaaaaaa?

Are you serious?

Zz.
 
And what I also hate is when people go "Why are you so damn defensive about this" when you tell them they are wrong and explain how SR works. I mean it's like people don't want to be told how the world works. Do they seriously read textbooks and think "damn this book is being defensive"?