Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why isn't passive dynamic walking used more?

1. Jul 11, 2013 #1
    I was researching movement models for bidpedal locomotion and when I stumbled across this amazing video of passive dynamic walking from 1990. But all the papers now I find are about neural oscillation. I do not find a mention of passive dynamic walking anywhere. Was there some kind of fatal flaw that prevented this model from extensive use?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2013 #2

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

Do you have access to Google Search? I do. When I used these search terms: “knee design for a bipedal walking robot based on a passive-dynamic walker” about 73,000 results appeared. I did not find any mention of a “fatal flaw” among the designs, but maybe you could.

4. Jul 11, 2013 #3
    ouch.

Okay. Why are there not more quasi passive dynamic lower extremity active orthosis' or exoskeletons in comparison to fully actuated versions?

What is holding passive dynamic exoskeleton design back?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  5. Jul 12, 2013 #4
    Perhaps as computational power progressed from the 90's it became able to simulate, in real time, the walking motion through methods of electrical excitation. Do realize that walking is a combination of forced and passive oscillation, so perhaps both are being researched as one towards the same goal.

6. Jul 29, 2013 #5
    I have been working on a physics based mathematical model of a bipedal runner, not a walker, for several years. It uses two models; a spring mass model first developed by Blickhan in ‘89 and a similar swing leg model. Both models use RK4 algorithms controlled by Newton-Raphson drivers to solve Newton’s and Euler’s equations . I was interested in using the combined model to understand how a runner's specific power expenditure (w/kg) depends on their velocity (speed).

I thought that there would be some research in the biomechanics groups (Biomch-L) in this area, but I have been disappointed. I don't know why this is so, but I think it may be because most biomechanics people are well founded in biology and human physiology, and not math/physics and mathematical modeling

There are a few who work in this area. McGeer's work was produced in 1990. As far as I can tell, it has not been built upon. Regarding PDR you might take a look at the PDR400 on Yourtube.com by Owaki. There are several interesting videos that may be of values.

Please post here if you find anyone who is working on a similar math/physics based approach to understanding the PDR model.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook