Why most of the galaxies are having two spiral arms only?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter jayaramas
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Galaxies Spiral
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
jayaramas
Messages
30
Reaction score
0
why most of the galaxies are having two spiral arms only?
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org


jayaramas said:
why most of the galaxies are having two spiral arms only?

Yes, I agree w/ mathman. What gave you the idea that 2 arms was the norm? Can you give a reference?
 


I have never heard of a galaxy with only two arms, although if there was such a thing, that would be interesting to see.
 


kcajrenreb said:
I have never heard of a galaxy with only two arms, although if there was such a thing, that would be interesting to see.

I may be wrong, but I DO seem to remember once (and only once) seeing a pic of a galaxy with only two arms ... or it might be that it only SEEMED to have just two arms because the two were so much stronger than the others ... I can't really recall.
 


Barred spirals may have only two arms, each coming off an end of the bar.