Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Why must the mediator of the strong force be heavy?

Tags:
  1. Nov 17, 2017 #1
    I'm reading Griffith's Introduction to Elementary Particles and it says that when Yukawa proposed his theory of the strong force, it was an indication that the meadiator of that force must be a heavy particle since the force is a short ranged force. Why is that the case? I cannot get the intuition behind it

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

A massless mediator leads to a Coulomb potential - it has a long range. A massive mediator leads to a Yukawa potential, where larger masses lead to shorter ranges.

4. Nov 18, 2017 #3

haushofer

Science Advisor

Look at the (negative!) exponential in the yukawa potential. It surpresses the potential if the mass of the mediator gets larger.

5. Nov 18, 2017 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Also note that this is the residual strong force mediated by pions. The strong force itself is mediated by massless gluons. The reason that this does not lead to a Coulomb potential is confinement, i.e., that only colourless states exist at lower energies.

6. Nov 18, 2017 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You know how right after he writes that, Griffiths says "See Problem 1.2"? You should see problem 1.2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted