Why no subforum for the psychology and sociology of religion and atheism?

• Thread starter 2AlphaMales?!
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing the possibility of having a subforum for religious discussions on a science forum, but there are concerns about it leading to flame wars and not fitting the purpose of the forum. One person suggests discussing the orthopraxic elements of religion instead, but another questions if it would fit within the forum's rules. The conversation ends with someone commenting on the logo of the forum.
2AlphaMales?!
It seems very restrictive to have such a potent memetic field off limits from discussion completely. The psychological, sociological and economic consequences of religion are scientific and of enormous magnitude. I can understand completely that it would ruin things if fanatical atheistm and/or young Earth creationism train-wrecked the majority of the forum with nonsensical arguments and mud slinging, but couldn't there be a subforum (or two) where religious (and explicitly atheistic) arguments and issues could be discussed?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well I'd be in favour of it, but if there ever was a volitile topic on message boards it's religion. If unpublished theories aren't allowed I doubt these kind of topics are...

Religious discussions always seem to end up in shouting and flame wars. It's a topic people feel very strongly about, but it's also a topic where it's easy to have unfounded opinions.

If everybody was able to have a mature discussion on the topic, then I'm all for it. But experience tells us it always ends up wrong.

Apart from the fact it would not fit purpose of the forum, we create new subforums to channel existing traffic, not in a hope they will attract traffic.

I am absolutely not in favour of this. First and foremost this is a science forum, the various non-science forums are academic in their own right (history and humanities) or for casual discussion and fun. A religious forum, especially one framed in the light of "atheism vs religion" would add nothing to the site and be a stain IMO.

A bigger problem though; do you really think that such a forum would fit within the PF rules?

There are forums for religious discussion, it's faith based and not appropriate for a science forum.

I suppose it's good to have a forum where there's no religion. It's just there's no atheism either. Perhaps I could see the funny side...

2AlphaMales?! said:
I suppose it's good to have a forum where there's no religion. It's just there's no atheism either. sitting on the fence doesn't quite do the situation justice. Perhaps I could see the funny side...if it weren't for the obscenity of Pascal's Wager, that is...

That you think that atheism is better than religion is your personal choice. We are not a forum which chooses one religious belief over another.

If atheism is the absence of religion, then the whole forum is in fact atheistic. And I said there wasn't any atheism here...

Reading Reza Aslan's book on Islam, I learned the difference between orthopraxic and orthodox religion - orthodoxy pertains to beliefs, orthopraxy pertains to behaviours. Aslan asserts that Islam is primarily an orthopraxic religion, as is Judaism, whereas Christianity is primarlily orthodox.

Perhaps discussion of the orthopraxic elements of religion could be allowed? No beliefs involved there...no faith...but it's where the real meat resides in many ways...that's where all the sociology and economics (if not some of the psychology) is anyway.

Subforum called "Orthopraxic Religion"? That'd put the cat amongst the pigeons :devil:

2AlphaMales?! said:
If atheism is the absence of religion, then the whole forum is in fact atheistic.

https://www.physicsforums.com/Prime/theme/physics_forums_logo.png

What does this say? Damn.

Last edited by a moderator:
This question has been sufficiently answered.

1. Why isn't there a subforum specifically for discussing the psychology and sociology of religion and atheism?

There could be a variety of reasons for this. It could be that there is not enough demand for such a subforum, or that the forum administrators have chosen to focus on other topics. It could also be that these topics are already being discussed in other subforums.

2. Can't we just discuss these topics in the existing subforums?

Yes, it is possible to discuss the psychology and sociology of religion and atheism in existing subforums, such as the philosophy or religious debate subforums. However, having a dedicated subforum for these topics could allow for more focused and in-depth discussions.

3. What kind of discussions would take place in a subforum for the psychology and sociology of religion and atheism?

Discussions in this subforum could range from exploring the psychological and sociological factors that contribute to religious beliefs and practices, to analyzing the effects of religion and atheism on individuals and society. It could also include discussions on the intersection of these topics with other fields such as anthropology, history, and political science.

4. Would this subforum only be for atheists or for people of all religious beliefs?

This subforum would be open to people of all religious beliefs (or lack thereof). The focus would be on understanding the psychological and sociological aspects of religion and atheism, rather than promoting a particular belief system.

5. How would a subforum for the psychology and sociology of religion and atheism benefit the forum as a whole?

Having a subforum dedicated to these topics could bring in a new perspective and diversity of discussions to the forum. It could also attract members who are interested in these specific areas and encourage more thoughtful and informative discussions on the subject. This could ultimately contribute to the overall intellectual and academic atmosphere of the forum.