Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why photons are free from decoherence?

1. Apr 26, 2012 #1
    Hi everybody,
    which are the physical laws that make photons free from decoherence? I only read about the fact that photons have no charge, but why this implies no decoherence?
    Thanks you all,
    gioia

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2012 #2
    Photons are mostly free of decoherence because they do not interact with each other directly and we have many materials in which photons interact minimally with their environment, like glass. This is in contrast to most other particles, such as electrons. In a vacuum far away from any other influences, an electron would also be free of decoherence. However, in the real world, electrons interact very strongly with their environment (because of their charge), leading them to lose, for instance, whatever information they were carrying. This is a very simple answer regarding a very complicated subject, but I hope this answers your question.

4. Apr 26, 2012 #3
    you have been very clear and your explanation is reasonable, thank you. are there physics motivation to this behave? like, i don't know, their quantized energy, their bosonic properties..? I read also that photons interact very little with each other directly, so is very difficult to realize logic gates with two qubit, is it right? and for make them interact, are there some solution? (like using an atom to make them interact via this atom?)
    thank you very very much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook