Why so(3) is not isomorphic to su(2)?

• Thread starter wdlang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    So(3)
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the groups su(2) and so(3). While they have different representations, their algebras are isomorphic. However, this does not mean that they cover the same group, as the same algebra can generate different Lie groups.
wdlang
it is generally known that there is a two-to-one automorphism from su(2) to so(3)

but consider the problem in this way:

all elements in so(3) are of the form (up to a unitary transform of the basis)

R(\alpha,\beta.\gamma)=e^{-i\alpha F_z} e^{-i\beta F_y} e^{-i \gamma F_z}

where F_x, F_y, F_z are the 3*3 spin operators

all elements in su(2) are of the form

R(\alpha,\beta.\gamma)=e^{-i\alpha \sigma_z/2} e^{-i\beta \sigma_y/2} e^{-i \gamma \sigma_z/2}

where \sigma_{x,y,z} are pauli matrices

F_{x,y,z} and \sigma_{x,y,z}/2 are of the same lie algebra!

so i think there should be a one-to-one correspondence between so(3) and su(2).

Physics news on Phys.org
i now know why

R(\alpha,\beta.\gamma)=e^{-i\alpha \sigma_z/2} e^{-i\beta \sigma_y/2} e^{-i \gamma \sigma_z/2}

do not cover the su(2) group completely.

When you write su(2) and so(3) (with minuscules), one usually understands this as a Lie algebra and not a Lie group. The algebras are in deed isomorphic. However, the very same algebra may generate different Lie groups.

1. Why are the groups Why so(3) and su(2) not isomorphic?

The groups Why so(3) and su(2) are not isomorphic because they have different dimensions. The Lie algebra of Why so(3) is three-dimensional, while the Lie algebra of su(2) is four-dimensional. This means that there is no bijective mapping that can preserve the group structure between these two groups.

2. Can Why so(3) and su(2) be mapped to each other in any way?

No, Why so(3) and su(2) cannot be mapped to each other in any way. This is because they have different Lie algebras, which means that the structure of their elements and operations are fundamentally different. The Lie algebra is the key property that determines the isomorphism of groups.

3. Are there any similarities between Why so(3) and su(2)?

Yes, there are some similarities between Why so(3) and su(2). They are both special cases of the special unitary group SU(n), and they both have three generators. However, these similarities are not enough to prove isomorphism between the two groups.

4. What is the significance of the isomorphism between Why so(3) and su(2)?

The isomorphism between Why so(3) and su(2) has important implications in physics, particularly in quantum mechanics. This is because the Lie algebra of su(2) is used to describe the spin of particles, while the Lie algebra of Why so(3) is used to describe the rotation of 3D objects. The fact that these two groups are not isomorphic means that the concepts of spin and rotation are fundamentally different.

5. Is there a way to prove that Why so(3) and su(2) are not isomorphic?

Yes, there is a mathematical proof that shows that Why so(3) and su(2) are not isomorphic. This proof involves examining the properties of the Lie algebra, such as the commutation relations between the generators. By comparing these properties, we can see that the two groups are not isomorphic.