Off-Forward quark-quark amplitude in momentum space

Overall, your summary accurately summarizes the conversation and the steps involved in solving the problem.
Diracobama2181
TL;DR Summary
I am attempting to find the off-forward quark-quark amplitude in momentum space.
I am having difficulty writing out

##\bra{p',\lambda}\psi^{\dagger}(-\frac{z^-}{2})\gamma^0\gamma^+\psi\frac{z^-}{2})\ket{p,\lambda}## in momentum space.
Here, I am working in light-cone coordinates, where I am defining ##z^-=z^0-z^3##, ##r'=r=(0,z^{-},z^1,z^2)##.
My attempt at this would be
$$\bra{p',\lambda}\psi^{\dagger}(-\frac{z^{-}}{2})\gamma^0\gamma^{+}\psi\frac{z^{-}}{2})\ket{p,\lambda}=\Sigma_{r,r'}\bra{p',\lambda}(\ket{r'}\bra{r'})\psi^{\dagger}(-\frac{z^{-}}{2})\gamma^0\gamma^{+}\psi\frac{z^{-}}{2}(\ket{r}\bra{r})\ket{p,\lambda}\\\\
=\int d^3r exp[i(p'-p)\cdot z^{-}]\psi^{\dagger}(-\frac{z^-}{2})\gamma^0\gamma^+\psi(\frac{z^-}{2})$$.
From here, I can substitute in
##\psi(t,\vec{r})=\int\frac{d^3\vec{k}}{(2\pi)^3}exp[-i(k^0t-\vec{k}\cdot \vec{r})]\phi(\vec{k})##

Is this attempt correct so far, or am I overlooking something? Any comments are appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your attempt looks correct so far. The next step would be to substitute in the definition of ##\psi## and evaluate the integral. This should give you a result in momentum space.

1. What is an off-forward quark-quark amplitude in momentum space?

An off-forward quark-quark amplitude in momentum space is a mathematical quantity that describes the probability amplitude for a quark to transition from one momentum state to another, while also emitting or absorbing a virtual particle. It is used in theoretical studies of quantum chromodynamics (QCD), the theory that describes the strong interactions between quarks and gluons.

2. How is the off-forward quark-quark amplitude calculated?

The off-forward quark-quark amplitude is calculated using a mathematical technique called perturbative QCD, which involves expanding the amplitude in a series of terms and solving for each term. This can be a complex and computationally intensive process, but it allows for precise predictions of the behavior of quarks and gluons in different momentum states.

3. What is the significance of the off-forward quark-quark amplitude in momentum space?

The off-forward quark-quark amplitude is significant because it provides valuable insights into the structure and behavior of hadrons, such as protons and neutrons. By studying the amplitude, scientists can better understand the strong interactions between quarks and how they contribute to the overall properties of these particles.

4. How does the off-forward quark-quark amplitude relate to other concepts in particle physics?

The off-forward quark-quark amplitude is closely related to other concepts in particle physics, such as the parton distribution function and the generalized parton distribution. These quantities also describe the internal structure and dynamics of hadrons, but the off-forward quark-quark amplitude specifically focuses on the momentum transfer between quarks.

5. What are some current research topics related to the off-forward quark-quark amplitude in momentum space?

Current research topics related to the off-forward quark-quark amplitude include studying the effects of spin and orbital angular momentum on the amplitude, investigating the role of quark-gluon correlations, and exploring the connection between the amplitude and other observables in QCD. This research is important for furthering our understanding of the fundamental interactions between quarks and gluons and their role in the structure of matter.