Why the discrepancy between telescopes and big bang?

In summary, the universe is expanding while the light is traveling. Also note that because space itself expands the "speed" of the expansion varies depending on how far apart the two points you consider are. The telescope sees galaxies that are 13.2 billion years old, not 13.7.
scott22
I am wondering why it is that we can look into Hubble's Deep Field and see galaxies 13.7 billion light years away, and 13.7 billion years ago, yet Big Bang theory tells us that 13.7 billion years ago all matter in the universe was very close together. Shouldn't we be seeing in HST that the oldest possible objects are closer, not further away? Or am I missing something here?

Space news on Phys.org
Note that the universe is expanding while the light is traveling. Also note that because space itself expands the "speed" of the expansion varies depending on how far apart the two points you consider are.

As ModusPwnd said... It appears space time expanded faster than the speed of light. That doesn't mean stars moved through space faster than light, it means space itself expanded. Google universe expanding faster than light.

scott22 said:
I am wondering why it is that we can look into Hubble's Deep Field and see galaxies 13.7 billion light years away, and 13.7 billion years ago, yet Big Bang theory tells us that 13.7 billion years ago all matter in the universe was very close together. Shouldn't we be seeing in HST that the oldest possible objects are closer, not further away? Or am I missing something here?

http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/releases/2012/37/image/a/

You misinterpreted the results. The telescope sees galaxies that are 13.2 billion years old, not 13.7.

scott22 said:
Shouldn't we be seeing in HST that the oldest possible objects are closer, not further away? Or am I missing something here?
We do see objects closer together in distant HST images!

I can't get enough of those HST images with all the galaxies, but is the telescope telling us that 13.7 billion years ago those galaxies were 13.7 billion light years away and in every direction, rather than clumped together as the theory says. How does Big Bang theory account for that?

Seeing them in every direction doesn't mean they weren't clumped together. Every direction you look is into the past and the arrangement of galaxies is denser the further away we look.

Think about it this way: In the entire sky, there are only a few hundred nearby galaxies, but a tiny chunk of the sky in the HDF shows 10,000 distant ones.

[Edit] I suspect this is a geometry issue. The limit of our vision represents an expanding sphere, so more recent views are of a smaller chunk of the universe. But picking a tiny sphere will show that that isn't representative of the true size of the universe: if we look only at celestial objects 2 seconds or less old, the only object in that sphere is the moon, 400,000 km away. But that doesn't mean the universe was only 800,000 km across 2 seconds ago or that the moon was the only thing in it!

Last edited:
I was just asking about this yesterday. There weren't many galaxies around 500 Million years after the BB, but if we choose a timeframe say 3B years after the BB with the corresponding red shift it should be possible to estimate the mean distance between galaxies then, and compare that with relatively close galaxies in roughly the present timeframe. I would think that there should be a difference. However it may not be very accurate because there may be new galaxies just coming into existence then as well as mergers during this time.

scott22 said:
I can't get enough of those HST images with all the galaxies, but is the telescope telling us that 13.7 billion years ago those galaxies were 13.7 billion light years away and in every direction, rather than clumped together as the theory says. How does Big Bang theory account for that?

Observed galaxies are 13.2 billion light years away, not 13.7!

I appreciate all the answers but I still don't understand how the BB explains that the HST imaged the oldest galaxies ever seen and they were 13-plus billion light years away, 13-plus billion years ago which is right around the time the theory says the bang happened. I am pretty certain the next great telescope that replaces HST will find them even further out in space and further back in time. To my admittedly untrained mind it seems unlikely, unless someone trained in these things can convince me otherwise, that a telescope will ever be invented that shows galaxies further back in time and spatially closer. But isn't that exactly what must happen to eliminate the discrepancy between telescopes and BB?

scott22 said:
I appreciate all the answers but I still don't understand how the BB explains that the HST imaged the oldest galaxies ever seen and they were 13-plus billion light years away, 13-plus billion years ago which is right around the time the theory says the bang happened. I am pretty certain the next great telescope that replaces HST will find them even further out in space and further back in time. To my admittedly untrained mind it seems unlikely, unless someone trained in these things can convince me otherwise, that a telescope will ever be invented that shows galaxies further back in time and spatially closer. But isn't that exactly what must happen to eliminate the discrepancy between telescopes and BB?

There is no discrepancy! 13.2 billion years is 500 million years less than 13.7 billion years, giving plenty of time for galaxies to form. The cmb is estimated to be radiation from about 300,000 years after the big bang.

That's a great description:

http://www.astronomy.com/News-Observ...rk Ages.aspx

Scott: For a visual representation in answer to your question, check out the first illustration here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_the_universe

Don't pay any attention to the surface borders...nor the 'point' size of the big bang...
there is no easy way to represent that the big bang happened everywhere at some point
in time...instead think of the stars as close together on the left,as illustrated, more spread out to the right, and with all the illustration space unconstrained...

1. What is the discrepancy between telescopes and the big bang theory?

The discrepancy between telescopes and the big bang theory refers to the fact that the observations made by telescopes do not always match up with the predictions made by the big bang theory. This can include differences in measurements of the universe's age, expansion rate, and the amount of dark matter and energy present.

2. Why are there discrepancies between telescopes and the big bang theory?

There are several possible reasons for the discrepancies between telescopes and the big bang theory. One explanation could be that our current understanding of the big bang theory is incomplete or incorrect. Another possibility is that there are unknown or unaccounted for factors at play, such as the presence of dark matter and energy.

3. What evidence supports the big bang theory despite these discrepancies?

Despite the discrepancies between telescopes and the big bang theory, there is still a significant amount of evidence that supports the theory. This includes the cosmic microwave background radiation, the abundance of light elements in the universe, and the large-scale structure of the universe. These pieces of evidence help to confirm the basic principles of the big bang theory.

4. How do scientists address the discrepancies between telescopes and the big bang theory?

Scientists are constantly investigating and studying the discrepancies between telescopes and the big bang theory. This involves using new and improved technology to make more accurate observations, as well as developing new theories and models that can better explain the data. Collaborative efforts and peer review also help to refine and improve our understanding of the universe.

5. Can the discrepancies between telescopes and the big bang theory ever be resolved?

It is possible that with continued research and advancements in technology, the discrepancies between telescopes and the big bang theory can be resolved. However, it is also important to keep an open mind and be willing to adapt and revise our theories as new evidence is discovered. The beauty of science is that it is an ever-evolving field, and we are constantly learning and expanding our understanding of the universe.