Why there isn't any mention of topology

  • Thread starter Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 3K views
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
4,662
Reaction score
372
in the title of differential geometry and tensor analysis?
such a crucial topic in maths should have its name mentioned should it not?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
so perhaps we need an all encompassing name for those areas?
I mean obviously algebraic topology,geometric topology, differential geometry have a lot to do with geometry, so perhaps a name such as: geometry & topology will do?
 
I guess part of the current title is meant to get people who are interested in mathematical aspects of General Relativity...particularly Tensors [which is probably why it is distinguished there]. While an expert would appreciate the title "geometry & topology"... the novice probably won't. With that title, one might get lots of questions about high-school geometry. Maybe "Advanced Geometry & Topology"... but one might need to throw in "Tensors".
 
I'm pretty sure the word topology was in the forum title not that long ago, unless I'm terribly mistaken.
 
morphism said:
There was a thread about this not too long ago:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=195378

Nothing seems to have changed since then though.

I really don't understand why the TA&DG is so-named. Surely topology warrants more attention than "tensor analysis" - whatever this means?

Ahh right. Thats where I remember the topology from.
 
robphy said:
I guess part of the current title is meant to get people who are interested in mathematical aspects of General Relativity...particularly Tensors [which is probably why it is distinguished there]. While an expert would appreciate the title "geometry & topology"... the novice probably won't. With that title, one might get lots of questions about high-school geometry. Maybe "Advanced Geometry & Topology"... but one might need to throw in "Tensors".
sorry, rob, but that's rubbish, I don't recall learning topology in high school, and I'm no expert in topology or geometry but an undergraduate student who learns this stuff, and I don't see how high schooler can choose to post at a forum where he sees all posts in subjects unfamiliar to him.
anyway, most of the users are university/college students aren't they?
that's my feeling from the forum discussing university life here, forgot the name of the forum.