Why we would 32 in Celsius to Fahrenheit & Vice Versa

• Thread starter HussanAli
  • Start date
  • Tags
    celsius
In summary, the conversation discusses the reason for adding 32 degrees when converting between Celsius and Fahrenheit temperatures. This is due to the offset between the two scales, with Fahrenheit starting at a different zero point. The formula for converting Celsius to Fahrenheit is (32°C × 9/5) + 32 = 89.6°F.
HussanAli
Why we would 32 in Celsius to Fahrenheit & Vice Versa.

Hey fellows, please tell me why we add 32 to celsius to Fahrenheit conversion and vice versa. According to my mind, I derive C to F formula of my own. I do the following.1)I look and choose the same scale of F and C. The most obvious of which is freezing and boiling point. For F (32-212) and for C (0-100).2)Now to derive the formula for C to F, i divided 180/100 =1.8 it means that if celsius then the corresponding F is 1.8. So I now want to know how much is 37C in Fahrenheit then I multiplied it by 1.8*37=66.6 which is not true unless I add 32 to this. But why would I actually do that? Please explain 32 celsius to Fahrenheit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

You've correctly figured out the relative scales for F and C temperatures, i.e. the ratio of one degree C to one degree F, but since the two don't both start at the same zero point, you have to add 32 degrees, which is the amount of offset between them. In other words, if they both defined zero degrees to be the freezing point of water, but used their different scales, then you'd be fine, but since the Fahrenheit scale is offset by 32 degrees, you must account for that.

Maybe it would help you to draw a plot of F degrees vs. C degrees. You could have a line parallel line to the F line that went through the origin - that would correspond to what you would get with no offset. But the correct F line is offset by 32.

Last edited:
Thanks guy. =)

Formula
(32°C × 9/5) + 32 = 89.6°F

The Celsius scale was based on the freezing and boiling points of water. The Fahrenheit scale was based on the freezing point of a brine solution and the temperature of the human body:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahrenheit

1. Why do we use Celsius and Fahrenheit for measuring temperature?

Celsius and Fahrenheit are two commonly used units for measuring temperature. Celsius is used in most countries as the official unit for measuring temperature, while Fahrenheit is primarily used in the United States. Both units are based on the concept of temperature as the measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance.

2. Why is 32 degrees important in the conversion between Celsius and Fahrenheit?

The number 32 is important in the conversion between Celsius and Fahrenheit because it is the freezing point of water in Fahrenheit. This means that when water freezes, it will have a temperature of 32 degrees Fahrenheit. In contrast, the freezing point of water in Celsius is 0 degrees. This reference point allows for a simple conversion between the two units.

3. How do you convert from Celsius to Fahrenheit and vice versa?

To convert from Celsius to Fahrenheit, you can use the formula: °F = (°C * 9/5) + 32. To convert from Fahrenheit to Celsius, the formula is: °C = (°F - 32) * 5/9. It is important to note that both units are based on different reference points, so the conversion formula is not a simple addition or subtraction.

4. Why is it important to know how to convert between Celsius and Fahrenheit?

It is important to know how to convert between Celsius and Fahrenheit because it allows for easier communication and understanding between people who use different units for measuring temperature. In scientific research and international collaborations, it is essential to have a standardized system for measuring temperature, and the ability to convert between the two units helps achieve this.

5. Are there any other units for measuring temperature besides Celsius and Fahrenheit?

Yes, there are other units for measuring temperature, such as Kelvin and Rankine. Kelvin is used in scientific and engineering applications, and it is based on the absolute zero point, where all molecular motion stops. Rankine is similar to Kelvin, but it uses Fahrenheit as its base unit. However, Celsius and Fahrenheit are the most commonly used units for everyday temperature measurements.