Why Were Some Alpha Particles Detected in Radium-226 Decay but Not Others?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ~Sam~
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Decay Series
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
~Sam~
Messages
70
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A experiment was carried out to detect the alpha particles in the decay of Radium-226, it was left for 24 hours overnight. In the end, four decay spectrums were detected. However, none of them matched the energies of decays in astatine-218, and Radon-218. But the alpha decay of Polonium-214 to Lead-210 was detected.


Homework Equations


I used the chart listed here:

http://www.downtheyellowcakeroad.org/userfiles/image/Uranium_238_DChn_TBL_608x801.png

The Attempt at a Solution



I'm thinking it has to do with the fact that the production of astatine-218 and radon-218 were done with beta decay, and that when astatine and radon go through alpha decay, the half-life is very short to be detected. However, I cannot explain why the decay of Polonium 214 to Pb-210 was detected.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
~Sam~ said:

Homework Statement



A experiment was carried out to detect the alpha particles in the decay of Radium-226, it was left for 24 hours overnight. In the end, four decay spectrums were detected. However, none of them matched the energies of decays in astatine-218, and Radon-218. But the alpha decay of Polonium-214 to Lead-210 was detected.

Homework Equations


I used the chart listed here:

http://www.downtheyellowcakeroad.org/userfiles/image/Uranium_238_DChn_TBL_608x801.png

The Attempt at a Solution



I'm thinking it has to do with the fact that the production of astatine-218 and radon-218 were done with beta decay, and that when astatine and radon go through alpha decay, the half-life is very short to be detected. However, I cannot explain why the decay of Polonium 214 to Pb-210 was detected.
I'm not a nuclear physicist, but here's something to look at.

Compare the ratio of the half-lifes of Pb210 to its parent (Po214) with the ratio of At218 or Rn218 to their parent (Po218).

The ratios are quite different.

I don't think the Beta argument works, but like I said, I'm not a nuke-phys!
 
SammyS said:
I'm not a nuclear physicist, but here's something to look at.

Compare the ratio of the half-lifes of Pb210 to its parent (Po214) with the ratio of At218 or Rn218 to their parent (Po218).

The ratios are quite different.

I don't think the Beta argument works, but like I said, I'm not a nuke-phys!

Interesting, that has given me to think about. Overall the decays Radium-226 to Radon-222, Radon-222 to Polonium-218, Polonium-218 to Lead-214, and finally Polonium-214 to Lead-210, were all detected. The other two showed no signs. I wondering if it does involve the ratio of half lifes..