1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why will a composition function of an even function always be even?

1. Sep 10, 2013 #1
    I apologize in advance if the answer to this is really simple; I often overlook simple solutions when something trips me up.

For example, if f(x)=x2 and g(x)=x3/2, and g(f(x)) is therefore, after simplification, x3, why is that still an even function if x3 graphed under other circumstances is odd?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2013 #2
    General case: [itex]f[/itex] is even, i.e. [itex]f(x)=f(-x)[/itex] for every [itex]x[/itex]. Thus [itex]g(f(x))=g(f(-x))[/itex], as both involve putting the the same input into [itex]g[/itex].

Specific example: You made a computational error. You have functions [itex]f:\mathbb R \to \mathbb R_+[/itex] and [itex]g:\mathbb R_+ \to \mathbb R_+[/itex], so indeed:
    - The composition [itex]g\circ f:\mathbb R \to \mathbb R_+[/itex] makes sense.
    - [itex]f[/itex], and thus [itex]g\circ f[/itex] as well, has domain [itex]\mathbb R[/itex]. So it makes sense to ask whether [itex]f[/itex] and [itex]g\circ f[/itex] are even.
    You can check that in fact [itex]g(f(x))= \bigg(f(x)\bigg)^{\frac32} = \bigg(\sqrt{f(x)}\bigg)^3= \bigg(\sqrt{x^2}\bigg)^3 = |x|^3[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook