Why would someone decorate their mausoleum with complex equations and symbols?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter MSFerguson
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 4K views
MSFerguson
Why would a guy in Wheaton, Illinois put these two equations on his mausoleum?

[itex]\nabla[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\psi[/itex]+8p[itex]^{2}[/itex]m(E-U)[itex]\psi[/itex][itex]\int[/itex]h[itex]^{2}[/itex]=0

[itex]\nabla[/itex][itex]_{0}[/itex][itex]\beta[/itex]=[itex]\sigma[/itex]

The first equation looks to be a variation of Schrödinger's wave equation.

The second looks like a Heaviside-Maxwell wave equation.

Any ideas?

The guy also put a Cartesian polar coordinates graph showing Quadrature Phase Shift Keying, some sacred geometry Greek characters, and the solar system in grand conjunction (with a flying saucer near Neptune).
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Could have has just been a crackpot who believed in some pseudoscience involving UFOS/mysticism?

Those equations look rather meaningless to me. Do you have a picture and are you sure you copied them correctly?
 
I've attached images. I've had someone speculate that the equations could be trying to show that a magnetic monopole can exist. Also, there's a large 'Schumann' engraved on the mausoleum, which must refer to Schumann resonance.
 
Attachments
  • picture4.jpg
    picture4.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 593
  • picture3.jpg
    picture3.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 477
  • picture7.jpg
    picture7.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 493
Last edited by a moderator:
MSFerguson said:
I've attached images. I've had someone speculate that the equations could be trying to show that a magnetic monopole can exist. Also, there's a large 'Schumann' engraved on the mausoleum, which must refer to Schumann resonance.

Not his name? I don't know, but honestly it seems like mostly nonsense to me. What makes you think it refers to magnetic monopoles, and what has that got to do with astronomy?
 
I'd say this part clinches the case here:

[tex]\int h^2[/tex]

This expression is meaningless as there is no variable of integration. There are lots of possibilities as to why this was put there. Could be anywhere between "looks cool" and a strange belief in the mystical power of certain equations. Either way, the equation, as written, is nonsense.
 
Chalnoth said:
I'd say this part clinches the case here:

[tex]\int h^2[/tex]

This expression is meaningless as there is no variable of integration. There are lots of possibilities as to why this was put there. Could be anywhere between "looks cool" and a strange belief in the mystical power of certain equations. Either way, the equation, as written, is nonsense.

Yea that's pretty much what my impression is. A rich guy who liked the style of physics without actually learning any of it. Similar to someone who can't speak or read Chinese getting a Chinese letter tattoo. Also I've never seen an equation that had any physical meaning that relates a 2nd order derivative to an integral (especially a meaningless one).
 
Interesting information, is this mausoleum or grave entry listed on Find A Grave? If so can you supply the memorial number or the name of the person in the Wheaton Cemetery. My reason for interest is that I have a website that list community and unusually mausoleums in the U.S.
Regards,
David in Wichita
 
Perhaps he was a pretentious fool, or a deluded nutcase?