Help to understand the derivation of the solution of this equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of wave optics in gravitational lensing. The article being read introduces the equation $(\nabla^2 + \omega)\tilde{\phi} = 4\omega^2U\tilde{\phi}$ and uses spherical coordinates and the physical condition $\theta \ll 1$ to put the equation in terms of the enhancement factor $F$. The Eikonal Approximation is then used to simplify the equation and it is rearranged to resemble the Schrödinger equation. The article then introduces the Lagrangian and uses the path integral formulation of Quantum mechanics to obtain the solution to the equation. The final solution is given as $F(\omega, y) = -
needved
Please, help here people.
Im reading this article Wave Optics in Gravitational Lensing (T. T. Nakamura, 1999) . In the article start work with
\begin{equation}

(\nabla ^2 +\omega)\tilde\phi = 4\omega^2U\tilde\phi

\end{equation}
where $$\tilde\phi = F(\vec r)\tilde\phi_{0}(r)$$. Using espherical coordinates and the physical condition $$\theta \ll 1$$ and using a two-dimensional vector $$\Theta = \theta(Cos \varphi , Sen \varphi)$$ they can put the last equation in therms of enhancement factor F
\begin{equation}

\frac{\partial^2 F}{\partial r^2}+2i\omega\frac{\partial F}{\partial r}+\frac{1}{r}\nabla_{\theta}^{2}F=4\omega^2 UF

\end{equation}

where $$\nabla_{\theta}^{2}$$ are the partials in polar and azimuthal coordinates.
A second physical condition, that they called **Eikonal Approximation** lead to considering the termn $$\frac{\partial^2 F}{\partial r^2}\approx 0$$ and at the right side of the equation they do $$V=2\omega U$$
rearrengment the remaining equation
\begin{equation}

\left [ -\frac{1}{2\omega r^2}\nabla_{\theta}^{2}+V \right]F=i\frac{\partial}{\partial r}F

\end{equation}

this last equation is like the Schroedinger equation with the variable $$r$$ instead $$t$$ and $$\omega$$ instead $$\mu$$

\begin{equation}

\left [ -\frac{\hbar}{2\mu}\nabla^{2}+V \right]\Psi=i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\Psi

\end{equation}
they says, the correspondent Lagrangian is
\begin{equation}

L(r,\Theta, \dot\Theta) =\omega\left[\frac{1}{2} r^2(\dot\Theta)^2 - 2 U\right]

\end{equation}
where $$\dot\Theta=\frac{d\Theta}{dr}$$ .At this point i have a clue (more or less) about what are they doing. The problem is from this point and on...The article says, from the path integral formulation of the Quantum mechanic, the solution to the equation \begin{equation}

F(\vec r_{0})=\int D \Theta (r) e^{\int_{0}^{r_{0}}L(r,\Theta, \dot\Theta)dr}

\end{equation}

eventually, working with this last expresion lead them to a solution given by\begin{equation}

F(\omega , y)=-i\omega e^{i\frac{\omega y^2}{2}}\int_{0}^{\infty} xJ_{0}(\omega xy) e^{i\omega[\frac{1}{2}x^2-\psi (x)]} dx

\end{equation}where $$J_{0}$$ is the bessel function of zeroeth order.
please, can help me to understand how work with the path integral so i can obtain the last equation. Any helpful hint will be very preciated and will be welcomed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can't help you with the path integral but what happened to ##U##? It no longer appears in Equation (7)? Also there are classical techniques to solve equations like (1) which don't use (or aren't called) path integrals. WKB comes to mind. Look at optics texts like Born and Wolf.

Question 1: What is the process for finding the solution to an equation?

The process for finding the solution to an equation involves manipulating the equation using mathematical operations to isolate the variable on one side of the equation and the constant on the other. This will result in a simplified equation with the variable equal to a specific value, which is the solution.

Question 2: How do I know if my solution is correct?

You can check if your solution is correct by plugging it back into the original equation and ensuring that it satisfies the equation. If the solution makes the equation true, then it is the correct solution.

Question 3: What are some common methods for solving equations?

There are several methods for solving equations, including the substitution method, elimination method, graphing method, and the quadratic formula. The method used may depend on the type of equation and the given information.

Question 4: How do I handle negative or complex solutions?

If the equation has negative or complex solutions, it means that the solution is not a real number. In this case, you can leave the solution in its simplified form or use the notation "no solution" to represent the lack of a real number solution.

Question 5: What should I do if I am stuck while trying to solve an equation?

If you are stuck while trying to solve an equation, it can be helpful to review the steps you have taken so far and double-check your work. You can also try using a different method or seeking assistance from a teacher or tutor.