Will a masters in physics broaden or narrow job possibilities vs. ME?

In summary: You're right, I am completely aware of that and have already been declined once but I think that I can still get accepted some how either elsewhere or by taking extra coursework and I am working on getting accepted.Also, it is not really necessary to get a PE license to practice engineering in most industries.
I recently graduated with a bachelors in Mechanical Engineering Technology and I want to pursue a masters in an actual engineering discipline (not technology) or possibly physics. I know that a large majority of physics majors go on to work as engineers but they also have other options like physics and astronomy and natural sciences. With this in mind I have been wondering if a masters in Physics would increase my possibilities more so than a Master's in Mechanical Engineering would.

Also can Physics majors get licensed as PEs?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Every higher education choice from now on will narrow your job opportunities - the idea is to improve your chances in a career which calls for an advanced degree. Decide what you want to spend your life doing.

Note: engineers can also go on to have a career in physics too ... but if the job description calls for am Mxy and you are applying with a Myz, then applicants with the Mxy will be usually be considered ahead of you.

MSc(Physics) is more general than ME - but also in less demand.
It used to be that a physics degree would get you in anywhere - these days there are specialized degrees for everything. OTOH: I've known people who went from MSc physics to study Law and got careers as litigators.

Licensing is subject to jurisdiction - you should ask the licensing body.

Simon Bridge said:
Welcome to PF;
Every higher education choice from now on will narrow your job opportunities - the idea is to improve your chances in a career which calls for an advanced degree. Decide what you want to spend your life doing.

Note: engineers can also go on to have a career in physics too ... but if the job description calls for am Mxy and you are applying with a Myz, then applicants with the Mxy will be usually be considered ahead of you.

MSc(Physics) is more general than ME - but also in less demand.
It used to be that a physics degree would get you in anywhere - these days there are specialized degrees for everything. OTOH: I've known people who went from MSc physics to study Law and got careers as litigators.

Licensing is subject to jurisdiction - you should ask the licensing body.

Thanks Simon, I feel I made a mistake in getting a bachelors in Mechanical engineering Technology instead of Mechanical Engineering I've heard that the MET guys hit a glass wall as compared to the ME guys. This is another reason why I am considering getting a masters in Mechanical Engineering in hopes that it will remove that glass wall.

7055 said:
Thanks Simon, I feel I made a mistake in getting a bachelors in Mechanical engineering Technology instead of Mechanical Engineering I've heard that the MET guys hit a glass wall as compared to the ME guys. This is another reason why I am considering getting a masters in Mechanical Engineering in hopes that it will remove that glass wall.

One needs to determine if one can get into a ME masters program with a MET bachelors. The fundamentals (for instance the math) are different for these degrees. Same applies for physics.

Physics_UG said:
One needs to determine if one can get into a ME masters program with a MET bachelors. The fundamentals (for instance the math) are different for these degrees. Same applies for physics.

You're right, I am completely aware of that and have already been declined once but I think that I can still get accepted some how either elsewhere or by taking extra coursework and I am working on getting accepted.

Also, it is not really necessary to get a PE license to practice engineering in most industries.

1. Will a Masters in Physics limit my job options compared to a degree in Mechanical Engineering?

While a Masters in Physics may not have as many direct job options as a degree in Mechanical Engineering, it can still open up a wide range of opportunities in various industries. Physics is a fundamental science and its principles are applicable to many fields such as engineering, technology, finance, and even healthcare. Additionally, a Masters in Physics can also lead to research and teaching positions, which can be highly rewarding and intellectually stimulating.

2. Are there any specific job roles that a Masters in Physics would be better suited for?

A Masters in Physics can be beneficial for roles that require strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a deep understanding of scientific principles. Some specific job roles that may be well-suited for individuals with a Masters in Physics include data scientist, research scientist, aerospace engineer, and electronics engineer. However, it ultimately depends on the individual's specialization and interests.

3. How does a Masters in Physics compare to a Masters in Mechanical Engineering in terms of salary?

The average salary for individuals with a Masters in Physics may be slightly lower than those with a Masters in Mechanical Engineering. However, this can vary depending on the specific job role, industry, and location. It is important to note that salary is not the only factor to consider when choosing a degree, as job satisfaction and career growth opportunities should also be taken into account.

4. Can a Masters in Physics be beneficial for a career in the field of renewable energy?

Absolutely! A Masters in Physics can provide a strong foundation in energy and environmental science, making it a valuable degree for a career in renewable energy. In fact, many renewable energy companies specifically look for individuals with a background in physics to fill various roles such as renewable energy engineer, solar energy consultant, and wind energy analyst.

5. How can I make the most out of my Masters in Physics degree in terms of job opportunities?

To make the most out of your Masters in Physics degree, it is important to gain practical experience through internships, research projects, and networking opportunities. This will not only enhance your skills and knowledge, but also make you more marketable to potential employers. Additionally, staying updated on industry developments and continuously developing your skills through courses and certifications can also help broaden your job possibilities.