Will a masters in physics broaden or narrow job possibilities vs. ME?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
7055
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
I recently graduated with a bachelors in Mechanical Engineering Technology and I want to pursue a masters in an actual engineering discipline (not technology) or possibly physics. I know that a large majority of physics majors go on to work as engineers but they also have other options like physics and astronomy and natural sciences. With this in mind I have been wondering if a masters in Physics would increase my possibilities more so than a Master's in Mechanical Engineering would.

Also can Physics majors get licensed as PEs?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Every higher education choice from now on will narrow your job opportunities - the idea is to improve your chances in a career which calls for an advanced degree. Decide what you want to spend your life doing.

Note: engineers can also go on to have a career in physics too ... but if the job description calls for am Mxy and you are applying with a Myz, then applicants with the Mxy will be usually be considered ahead of you.

MSc(Physics) is more general than ME - but also in less demand.
It used to be that a physics degree would get you in anywhere - these days there are specialized degrees for everything. OTOH: I've known people who went from MSc physics to study Law and got careers as litigators.

Licensing is subject to jurisdiction - you should ask the licensing body.
 
Simon Bridge said:
Welcome to PF;
Every higher education choice from now on will narrow your job opportunities - the idea is to improve your chances in a career which calls for an advanced degree. Decide what you want to spend your life doing.

Note: engineers can also go on to have a career in physics too ... but if the job description calls for am Mxy and you are applying with a Myz, then applicants with the Mxy will be usually be considered ahead of you.

MSc(Physics) is more general than ME - but also in less demand.
It used to be that a physics degree would get you in anywhere - these days there are specialized degrees for everything. OTOH: I've known people who went from MSc physics to study Law and got careers as litigators.

Licensing is subject to jurisdiction - you should ask the licensing body.

Thanks Simon, I feel I made a mistake in getting a bachelors in Mechanical engineering Technology instead of Mechanical Engineering I've heard that the MET guys hit a glass wall as compared to the ME guys. This is another reason why I am considering getting a masters in Mechanical Engineering in hopes that it will remove that glass wall.
 
7055 said:
Thanks Simon, I feel I made a mistake in getting a bachelors in Mechanical engineering Technology instead of Mechanical Engineering I've heard that the MET guys hit a glass wall as compared to the ME guys. This is another reason why I am considering getting a masters in Mechanical Engineering in hopes that it will remove that glass wall.

One needs to determine if one can get into a ME masters program with a MET bachelors. The fundamentals (for instance the math) are different for these degrees. Same applies for physics.
 
Physics_UG said:
One needs to determine if one can get into a ME masters program with a MET bachelors. The fundamentals (for instance the math) are different for these degrees. Same applies for physics.

You're right, I am completely aware of that and have already been declined once but I think that I can still get accepted some how either elsewhere or by taking extra coursework and I am working on getting accepted.
 
Also, it is not really necessary to get a PE license to practice engineering in most industries.