1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Will a masters in physics broaden or narrow job possibilities vs. ME?

1. May 27, 2013 #1
    I recently graduated with a bachelors in Mechanical Engineering Technology and I want to pursue a masters in an actual engineering discipline (not technology) or possibly physics. I know that a large majority of physics majors go on to work as engineers but they also have other options like physics and astronomy and natural sciences. With this in mind I have been wondering if a masters in Physics would increase my possibilities more so than a Master's in Mechanical Engineering would.

Also can Physics majors get licensed as PEs?

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF;
    Every higher education choice from now on will narrow your job opportunities - the idea is to improve your chances in a career which calls for an advanced degree. Decide what you want to spend your life doing.

Note: engineers can also go on to have a career in physics too ... but if the job description calls for am Mxy and you are applying with a Myz, then applicants with the Mxy will be usually be considered ahead of you.

MSc(Physics) is more general than ME - but also in less demand.
    It used to be that a physics degree would get you in anywhere - these days there are specialized degrees for everything. OTOH: I've known people who went from MSc physics to study Law and got careers as litigators.

Licensing is subject to jurisdiction - you should ask the licensing body.

4. May 27, 2013 #3
    Thanks Simon, I feel I made a mistake in getting a bachelors in Mechanical engineering Technology instead of Mechanical Engineering I've heard that the MET guys hit a glass wall as compared to the ME guys. This is another reason why I am considering getting a masters in Mechanical Engineering in hopes that it will remove that glass wall.

5. May 27, 2013 #4

Physics_UG

Gold Member

One needs to determine if one can get into a ME masters program with a MET bachelors. The fundamentals (for instance the math) are different for these degrees. Same applies for physics.

6. May 27, 2013 #5
    You're right, I am completely aware of that and have already been declined once but I think that I can still get accepted some how either elsewhere or by taking extra coursework and I am working on getting accepted.

7. May 27, 2013 #6

Physics_UG

Gold Member

Also, it is not really necessary to get a PE license to practice engineering in most industries.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook