Will a math minor help me get into physics grad school or find a job?

  • Topic: Programs 
  • Thread starter Thread starter xdrgnh
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Minor
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
xdrgnh
Messages
415
Reaction score
0
Basically I noticed that I plan on taking enough math classes to fulfill my schools math minor without even taking any more classes that I was originally planning. Will a minor in math make me more competitive for grad school in physics and the job market?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Why does it matter? You said you're planning on taking the classes anyway.
 
I don't know how minors work, wouldn't my degree say that I completed a minor in math or something extra like that?
 
But you've already decided to take the classes. So what difference does it make?
 
It's pretty much assumed that you know a good amount of math if you have a BS in Physics, so it may not be of much value, nonetheless it would still look nice on your degree.
 
As long as I get like a extra piece of paper saying that I completed the minor then I'm okay. I'll declare my minor in math then.
 
Yea I don't get the point of this topic. You might not gain anything from having the minor but you won't lose anything. So if you satisfy the requirements then yea get it. Too lazy to fill out some paperwork or something?

Which reminds me, I should prolly declare my math minor >_>. By the end of this semester I will just be 1 class short lol. I'll prolly declare it and finish it at the same time, maybe for dramatic effect.