Will Community College Grades Affect Chances To Get To Medical School?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
Stochastic13
Messages
59
Reaction score
0
I have 3.43 GPA at the community college, because in the beginning I didn't care about my GPA and got a C in Biology and an F in Chem I and a couple of B's, but I retook Chem I and got all A's since then. Will my low GPA affect my chances to get to medical school? I am planning to get all A's and at the 4-year University, but I'm not sure if they will count my GPA form community college.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you made them up and retook the classes you got a low grade in (life the F) then you'll be fine. Your GPA is your GPA, regardless of what college you went to.
I was the same way, I didn't care about school until recently, so my GPA took quite a hit, but I moved back up to above a 3.0
I don't know much about getting into medical school, but if you get all A's at your 4-year university plus your good grades you've gotten recently, I feel you'll have no problem getting in.
 
I think it will depend on the medical school. You'll have to read the fine print when you apply.
 
I agree with lurky. Every school has it's own formula for determining acceptance. Some will take your best three undergraduate years. Some will give substantial weight to graduate work, others won't even factor it in.

A few bad marks in your first year won't necessarily keep you out of medical school, or other professional or graduate schools for that matter. But remember these are competitions. Who gets in depends, to a degree, on the pool of applicants as well as the formula.