Will EMF be induced in a coil that is accelerating in a uniform magnetic field?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
songoku
Messages
2,520
Reaction score
395
Homework Statement
Suppose there is infinitely large region of uniform magnetic field. A circular coil moves in the region and while moving, the plane of the coil is always perpendicular to the magnetic field.
a) Will emf be induced in the coil if the coil moves with constant speed?
b) Will emf be induced in the coil if the coil accelerates?
Relevant Equations
Faraday's and Len'z Law
My answer will be no for both (a) and (b) because there is no change in magnetic flux experienced by the circular coil.

Am I correct? Thanks
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Delta2 and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your answers. Can you say which equation would be best to show this quantitatively? :smile:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: songoku
berkeman said:
I agree with your answers. Can you say which equation would be best to show this quantitatively? :smile:
##\varepsilon = - N \frac{\Delta \phi}{\Delta t} = -N \frac{\Delta (BA cos \theta)}{\Delta t}##

All the variables ##B, A## and ##\theta## do not changeI have another questions. If the circular coil is changed with:
c) solenoid
d) a straight rod

Will emf be induced?

My answer is no for (c) because the same reason, no change in magnetic flux and there will be emf induced for (d). If let say the rod is moving to the right and the magnetic field is directed into the page, using Fleming's left hand rule I get the force acting on the electron will be downwards so the upper tip of the rod will have higher potential compared to lower tip of the rod.

But I am not sure how to show answer to question (d) quantitatively. Using the same formula:

##\varepsilon = - N \frac{\Delta \phi}{\Delta t} = -N \frac{\Delta (BA cos \theta)}{\Delta t}##

Then how to proceed? I can not see what variables will change to produce emf

Thanks
 
songoku said:
for (d). If let say the rod is moving to the right and the magnetic field is directed into the page, using Fleming's left hand rule I get the force acting on the electron will be downwards so the upper tip of the rod will have higher potential compared to lower tip of the rod.
songoku said:
But I am not sure how to show answer to question (d) quantitatively
The search term is Motional EMF. Here is a video about it from the Khan Academy:

https://www.khanacademy.org/science...duced-in-rod-traveling-through-magnetic-field
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: songoku
Thank you very much berkeman
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman