Will Junior college for my first two years be a detriment?

• Schools
  • Thread starter Christopher Perschke
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College Years
In summary, the speaker is considering getting an AS degree in Physics before transferring to a bachelor's program and is also thinking about CLEPing out of non-math and physics classes. They are concerned about the importance of undergrad research and the reputation of their bachelor's school in getting into a higher program. They are also unsure of how to determine which schools are better than others. The speaker discusses the advantages and disadvantages of attending a community college for the first two years and emphasizes the importance of making sure to choose a school where they can perform their best. They also mention that there is no rule requiring them to graduate with an AS degree and suggest attending a community college for the first year before transferring to a larger university.
Christopher Perschke
So, Basically the question is in the title. I'm just about to start My undergrad and For many reasons, I'm strongly considering getting an As in physics before transferring to a bachelors program. However, I really don't want to miss out on anything, or for my junior college roots to affect my chances at getting into a graduate program.
Additionally I'm thinking about CLEPing out of as many non math and physics classes as I'm allowed. Does that look good, bad, or neutral to better schools?

The other concern I have is that I hear it's really important to do undergrad research if your looking to get into a great graduate program. Is it bad to start in your junior year?

I guess as well as my junior college question, how important is the reputation of your bachelors school for getting into higher programs? And where do I find what schools are better than others? I've been looking and not found any reliable advice on which schools are better than others. My wife thinks I should try to get into an ivy league school for my undergrad, and just keep a separate household, But I don't want to do that unless it's actually important to my chances of getting into the phd program of my choice...

Physics news on Phys.org
In a lot of ways, I think attending a community college or junior college for the first two years is not a bad idea. It's often a cheaper option. And really first year physics and mathematics courses are pretty uniform in content, so it's unlikely you'll be missing out on a lot. Also, the focus is on teaching, so you may have the opportunity for more interaction with your professors, rather than being one of three hundred students crammed into a lecture hall. There's also a good chance that your peers will be less competitive - it's a little easier to stand out in your classes.

The disadvantages are that you will have to switch schools part way through - and that can mean making new friends and learning a new set of administrative rules. Often there are less opportunities to get involved in research, as you've indicated. Also, since the majority of "serious" physics majors tend to go to larger universities, the people in your classes are likely to have different objectives. The instructors may teach physics with a slant towards people who are going to go on to become nurses or technicians and have no intention of going on to graduate school - so you may see more breath, less depth, but this is going to be school dependent. If this happens, you may have some catching up to do when you go to a different school for upper year classes.

It's fine to start getting involved in research in your junior year. The issue is really that you want to have some kind of research experience before you attend graduate school so that you will have an idea of what it's like for graduate school and this can help you make decisions. It will also help you build relationships with professor and graduate students who can mentor you through your upper year. And of course - research is why you want to do this after all, isn't it?

The reputation of your school doesn't matter nearly so much as how well you perform where you're at. You want to make sure that you go to a school that has a high quality program, but after that, to the best of my knowledge most graduate school admissions committees don't assign weights to different undergraduate schools when ranking students. Try to choose the place where you feel you'll be able to do your best.

Last edited:
Likes CalcNerd
And there is NO rule that says you have to graduate with an AS degree. You can attend the local community college for the 1st year only AND then transfer to the better known or now better researched school vs making the mistake of attending the WRONG college out of High School. And if you CLEP or get college credit at the community college for any and all college credit, it will ALL transfer to an in state college of whichever state the community college is located in (and probably all other schools as well). That would allow you to avoid a lot of Freshman mistakes and still allow you to attend a larger college/university from your sophomore year on.

You've got to take advantage of it and really get to know/impress a couple professors. I did 3 years at community college, transferred to completely unknown cheap state school and ended up in a top 20 grad program.

1. Will going to a junior college for my first two years hinder my chances of getting into a good university?

Not necessarily. Many universities have partnerships with junior colleges and have transfer agreements in place. As long as you maintain good grades and take the necessary courses for transfer, your chances of getting into a good university are not hindered by attending a junior college.

2. Will I be behind academically compared to students who went straight to a four-year university?

It depends on the individual and the courses they take. Some junior colleges offer courses that are equivalent to those offered at four-year universities. Plus, junior colleges often have smaller class sizes and more personalized instruction, which can actually give students an academic advantage.

3. Will I miss out on the "college experience" by attending a junior college?

It depends on what you define as the "college experience". While junior colleges may not have the same social scene and campus life as four-year universities, they do offer a unique experience. You can still participate in clubs, sports, and other activities, and the smaller community can often lead to stronger connections and friendships.

4. Will attending a junior college save me money in the long run?

In many cases, yes. Junior colleges often have lower tuition costs compared to four-year universities, and students can save money by living at home instead of in a dorm. Additionally, if you transfer to a university after two years, you can save money on tuition for those first two years of college.

5. Will my degree be less valuable if I attend a junior college?

No. Your degree will hold the same value as any other degree as long as it is from an accredited institution. What matters most is the knowledge and skills you gain during your education and how you apply them in your career, not where you obtained your degree.