Will my minor affect grad school admission?

In summary, the person is wondering how much a minor in Space and Planetary Sciences will be considered in their grad school admissions, as they plan to pursue a focus in Astrophysics. It would not add to their duration of school, but would add extra classes to their course load and tuition. They are seeking input and have considered talking to their academic advisor. The weight of a minor in admissions may depend on specific details such as GPA, PGRE scores, research experience, and preferred grad schools. It may be beneficial if the minor includes relevant upper year courses and the individual has performed well in them.
cje312
Hello,

I am currently an undergrad aiming for a B.S in Physics and a minor in Space and Planetary Sciences. I have only had the chance to take one astronomy class towards my minor and I am wondering how much a minor is considered in grad school admissions?
My end game is to continue on through grad school with a focus in Astrophysics. Completing a minor would not add to my duration of school, but it would add quite a few extra classes to my course load while taking my 400 level Physics courses (not to mention add more to my tuition bill and it would be nice to save a little bit of money).

Thank you for your input, my apologies if this post is repetitive.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a bigger picture than you can really share here: GPA, PGRE, research, location, recommendation letters, preferred grad schools, MS or PhD, etc.

Applying to a PhD program at a top 20 R1 Research University is a lot different from mid-tier MS programs.

In general a minor itself is not likely to carry much weight, but the devil is in the details.

People on admissions committees will look at the courses that you've taken and how you did in them. If your minor has courses that are related to your proposed field of graduate studies - particular upper year courses - and you've done well in them, this is going to work to your advantage.

1. How much weight does a minor carry in grad school admission?

The weight of a minor varies depending on the graduate program and university. Some programs may view a minor as a valuable addition to your application, while others may not consider it at all. It is best to research the specific program you are interested in to determine their stance on minors.

2. Can a minor make up for a lower GPA in grad school admission?

A minor alone is unlikely to make up for a significantly lower GPA. Graduate programs typically place a heavy emphasis on undergraduate GPA as it is an indicator of academic success. However, a strong minor paired with relevant experience and a compelling personal statement may help to offset a lower GPA.

3. Is it better to have a minor in a related field for grad school admission?

Having a minor in a related field can be beneficial for grad school admission, as it shows a depth of knowledge and interest in the subject area. However, it is not necessary and having a minor in an unrelated field can still demonstrate a diverse skill set and well-roundedness.

4. Should I include my minor on my grad school application?

If your minor is relevant to your chosen graduate program and strengthens your application, then it is recommended to include it. However, if your minor is not relevant or does not add value to your application, it is not necessary to include it.

5. Can a minor hurt my chances of getting into grad school?

In most cases, a minor will not hurt your chances of getting into grad school. However, if your minor is in a completely unrelated field and does not align with your chosen graduate program, it may not add value to your application. It is always best to research the program's requirements and preferences before deciding on a minor.