Will planets eventually fall out of orbit due to gravity failing?

  • Thread starter Thread starter phy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    General Gravity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
phy
I remember reading something similar to this somewhere but now I can't remember. Is it true that eventually gravity fails and the planets will fall out of their orbit and collide...or something like that? I find that kind of hard to believe because for that to happen wouldn't it mean that we would need the energy to be zero and that's highly unlikely to happen? Anyways, thanks in advance. Oh and if anybody knows of any credible websites that have to do with this, please do post them. Thanks :smile:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I have never heard of anything like that. Any website that sites gravity will one day fail are best to be ignored.
 
Every site in existence about gravity.

- Warren
 
The big crunch?

Although that doesn't necessitate failure of natural laws. Although I would imagine it would not be very "good" for the planets.