Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

William Ayers turned back at Canadian border

1. Jan 19, 2009 #1

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Odd bit of denial. What actual threat does the Canadian Government perceive?
    http://www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/573462

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2009 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

What reason did Canada give? I wonder who brought it to the attention of Canadian authorities, his name is not that uncommon.

4. Jan 19, 2009 #3

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Yeah. I don't get the payoff.

Why bother?

Outgoing State Department Neocons about to be unemployed causing last second mischief?

5. Jan 19, 2009 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Rather than speculate or invent conspiracy theories... we could wait to see if Canada makes an official statement. :tongue:

6. Jan 19, 2009 #5
    Two weeks ago upon entering Canada I got hard lined pretty good by border agents.

7. Jan 19, 2009 #6
    Ayers past will always haunt him.

8. Jan 19, 2009 #7

Evo

I warned them you were coming.

9. Jan 19, 2009 #8

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Why do that? This is the last day we have to kick around the NeoCons ... until their trials that is.

10. Jan 19, 2009 #9

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

He has a criminal conviction, so needs to apply for a Visa. You can only enter under visa waiver if you don't have any convictions in the US (that includes DWI GWB!)

11. Jan 19, 2009 #10

Evo

According to Ayers, he does not have a felony conviction. If he's right, Canada will look pretty silly.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-na-canada-ayers-barr,0,4566981.story

12. Jan 19, 2009 #11

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think Canada distinguishes a felony and misdemeanor as far as visa are concerned - it is also based on what the offence would be in Canada - so DWI counts.

He is probably on some US watch list that was shared with the CBSA and some minion who hasn't been keeping up with the news didn't just pass it up the ladder to some superior. The US famously refused Cat Stevens entry in 2004 - but they let Celine Dion in!

13. Jan 19, 2009 #12

Evo

You could be right, if it's a misdemeanor for drugs, it's up to the border agent to allow him or block him, apparently they've always allowed him in the past, according to Ayers, but not this time.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080525061504AAbEUED

I am assuming this is correct, I have not verfied it, I'm watching House.

14. Jan 19, 2009 #13
    I wouldn't be surprised if it would have to do with being on some sort of terrorist watch list given to Canada by the USA.

15. Jan 19, 2009 #14

Evo

But why now, and not on his previous trips to Canada? Unless he's stretching the truth and hasn't been to Canada since 9/11, or he was just added to the list because of his recent media coverage.

16. Jan 19, 2009 #15

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

I'd guess it was a more recent event ... like the notoriety he gained during the last election.

17. Jan 19, 2009 #16

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Or they are still catching up on the backlog from Vietnam?
    There was a little kid bounced from a flight because his name was on the no-fly list, it was the same name as a long dead journalist who was on Nixon's enemies list.

I assume they are entering names - starting with 'the kaiser' and have just about reached the 60s?

18. Jan 19, 2009 #17

Evo

:rofl:

19. Jan 19, 2009 #18
    I am deeply confused. This guy build nail bombs for a radical terrorist group - explosives designed specifically to inflict horrible injuries through shrapnel. It is only through accident that the bombs killed his fellow terrorists rather than innocent victims. Why does is would-be mass murderer still free?

20. Jan 19, 2009 #19
    signerror, it is only because of a slip up in the government's prosecution that Ayer's is still free. He is entirely guilty of everything he has been accused of, and he glories in it. I think it as a very smart move on the part of Canada to keep him out. Any country that can keep him out would be well advised to do so, for the reasons you have just pointed out.

21. Jan 19, 2009 #20
    I think this stuff has been discussed many times already.
    See https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=271924&page=7

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?