How can I customize my WinXP right click menus?

• Thread starter aychamo
  • Start date
In summary, when you right click on a file, you can remove programs from the menu that you don't want, and you can also remove the shell integration (Media Player stuff) from the right click menu.
aychamo
Hey there

When I am in my WinXP Pro, and I right click on a file, say a .mp3 file, I get a TON of options of stuff to do with the .mp3 file. For example:

Edit with Dreamweaver
Add to WinAmps Bookmark List
Open
Play
Copy to Cd or Device
Qeue it U
Add to Playlist
Play with Media Player
MP3/Tag Studio
WinZip

I'd really like to remove most of these from the right click menus. Does anyone know how to do this?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Goto start, choose run and then type regedit. Select HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and then goto directory, and under directory u will find keys named shell (or) shellex. Expand these keys to find out which of the right click options they represent. Delete the ones that u do not want.

Hey! That helped get most of them, the rest I just searched in the registry. Thank you!

Hmm. Well, I've managed to get rid of all the programs that shouldn't even be looking at it (Dreamweaver, etc.) I still can't get the Media Player stuff out of it. Oh well though, it is still an improvement.

aychamo said:
Hmm. Well, I've managed to get rid of all the programs that shouldn't even be looking at it (Dreamweaver, etc.) I still can't get the Media Player stuff out of it. Oh well though, it is still an improvement.
I know this thread is over a year old... but i was just searching the net (which brought me here) for the same info and came across this. The below quote worked for me.
traxx said:
To remove the shell integration (play with media player stuff in right click menu):

Start -> Run -> regsvr32 /u wmpshell.dll
http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=244247&st=0&p=584924619&#entry584924619

Thouhgt it might help someone out in the furture.

1. How do I access the right click menus in Windows XP?

To access the right click menus in Windows XP, simply right click on an item or area on your desktop or in a folder. This will bring up a list of options specific to that item or area.

2. How can I customize the right click menus in Windows XP?

To customize the right click menus in Windows XP, you can use a third-party software or modify the registry. There are also some built-in options in the Folder Options menu in the Control Panel that allow you to add or remove items from the right click menus.

3. Can I add my own options to the right click menus in Windows XP?

Yes, you can add your own options to the right click menus in Windows XP by using a third-party software or modifying the registry. This can be useful for adding frequently used programs or commands for quick access.

4. How do I remove unwanted options from the right click menus in Windows XP?

To remove unwanted options from the right click menus in Windows XP, you can use a third-party software or modify the registry. You can also use the Folder Options menu in the Control Panel to remove specific items from the context menu.

5. Are there any keyboard shortcuts for accessing the right click menus in Windows XP?

Yes, you can use the keyboard shortcut "Shift + F10" to access the right click menus in Windows XP. This can be helpful for users who prefer using keyboard shortcuts instead of the mouse.

Back