Withdraw from Intro. to Real Analysis or take a C? (1 Viewer)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

I was overly ambitious this semester and took on too many courses (4 math courses and 3 econ. courses). I am getting an A in all of my other courses except Intro to Real Analysis which I am doing horribly. I bombed a midterm which brought my overall grade down from an A- to a C. The only way to make up for it is if I get an A on the cumulative final which is way too much pressure and far too risky.

What do you guys think I should do? The withdraw deadline at my school is in two weeks so I must decide pretty soon. Will a W in a core class (I am a junior math & econ. major) put me out of the running for the top stats/applied math PhD programs?

Unless I get a high A on the final exam, I think I am pretty much stuck with a C in the course if I decide to stay. If I do withdraw, I plan on retaking the course and getting an A next semester. Should I take the plunge or stick with a C?

Last edited:
Things come up in life, people withdraw for reasons besides grades. Schools know this, and as long as it's not a repeated thing I can't see it causing any problems. If I were in your shoes I would take the W and get an A next time around. Just don't make a habit of it.

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving