Can I choose to withdraw from a program after deferring

• Admissions
  • Thread starter majormuss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Program
In summary, if you withdraw your acceptance from a deferred school, there may be consequences, but they are not too serious.
majormuss
Hi all,
After accepting an offer from a university I am not too thrilled about, I have alerted them that I will like to defer my admission to Spring 2018 (for legitimate reasons). I was thinking: what if I only keep that school as my back up and then actually apply again to other universities this fall? There is enough time between now and the Physics GRE dates for me to study and do better. If this happens, I stand a decent chance of making it to a stronger program. So are there consequences to withdrawing my acceptance from my deferred school in case I get offered admission somewhere else?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think this is a good idea and I think the school could yank your offer. In essence they are saving a place for you that someone else could take. Its like getting engaged to someone and holding off the ceremony until a better prospect comes along.

In truth, students do do this and I don't think there's any real consequences unless you change your mind after having gone to the new school and try to go back to this school and then they may reject you on the grounds that you're not serious enough.

Likes Dr. Courtney and majormuss
I don't think much has changed since May.

I agree with Jedishrfu - what you are doing is wrong. You're blocking the spot of someone else who wants the chance to go to grad school. I understand the question you asked was not "is this wrong" but "what will the consequences be if I get caught". More's the pity.

Likes Dr. Courtney
You have the right to do it, as long as you give them enough notice next year for them to offer the slot to another student.

Likes majormuss and Wminus
Vanadium 50 said:
I don't think much has changed since May.

I agree with Jedishrfu - what you are doing is wrong. You're blocking the spot of someone else who wants the chance to go to grad school. I understand the question you asked was not "is this wrong" but "what will the consequences be if I get caught". More's the pity.

Actually a few things have changed. I did decide on a school to attend this fall and had every intention of enrolling. However, a sudden personal crisis arose and that is the real reason why I had to defer attending graduate school this fall. It has nothing to do with what I just described in this thread. Hence, I mentioned "for legitimate reasons" in my post.
It was only after I had deferred that I realized the possibility of applying elsewhere to see if I get into anywhere else. There is really nothing to lose for me in this scenario. If it works, I will go to a stronger grad school, and it doesn't work I will go to a good grad school. Do you see what I mean? My question was really about if there are any real consequences to changing my mind about attending after I had deferred.

1. Can I withdraw from a program after deferring if I have already paid the tuition?

Yes, you can still withdraw from a program after deferring even if you have already paid the tuition. However, it is important to check with the program or institution for their specific policies on refunds or credits for tuition.

2. Will withdrawing from a program after deferring affect my academic record?

It depends on the specific policies of the program or institution. Some may consider it a withdrawal and it may be reflected on your academic record, while others may not have any impact. It is important to check with the program or institution for their policies.

3. Can I defer and then withdraw from a program multiple times?

It is not recommended to defer and withdraw from a program multiple times as it may affect your academic progress and may also have financial implications. It is best to carefully consider your options before making a decision to defer or withdraw.

4. Do I need to provide a reason for withdrawing from a program after deferring?

In most cases, you will need to provide a reason for withdrawing from a program after deferring. This is to ensure that the program or institution can properly process your request and make any necessary accommodations. However, the reason may not always affect the outcome of your request.

5. What is the deadline for withdrawing from a program after deferring?

The deadline for withdrawing from a program after deferring will vary depending on the program or institution. It is important to check with them for their specific deadline and any potential penalties or consequences for withdrawing after the deadline.