1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Admissions Can I choose to withdraw from a program after deferring

1. Jul 10, 2017 #1
    Hi all,
    After accepting an offer from a university I am not too thrilled about, I have alerted them that I will like to defer my admission to Spring 2018 (for legitimate reasons). I was thinking: what if I only keep that school as my back up and then actually apply again to other universities this fall? There is enough time between now and the Physics GRE dates for me to study and do better. If this happens, I stand a decent chance of making it to a stronger program. So are there consequences to withdrawing my acceptance from my deferred school in case I get offered admission somewhere else?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2017 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

I don't think this is a good idea and I think the school could yank your offer. In essence they are saving a place for you that someone else could take. Its like getting engaged to someone and holding off the ceremony until a better prospect comes along.

In truth, students do do this and I don't think there's any real consequences unless you change your mind after having gone to the new school and try to go back to this school and then they may reject you on the grounds that you're not serious enough.

4. Jul 11, 2017 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I don't think much has changed since May.

I agree with Jedishrfu - what you are doing is wrong. You're blocking the spot of someone else who wants the chance to go to grad school. I understand the question you asked was not "is this wrong" but "what will the consequences be if I get caught". More's the pity.

5. Jul 11, 2017 #4

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have the right to do it, as long as you give them enough notice next year for them to offer the slot to another student.

6. Jul 11, 2017 #5
    Actually a few things have changed. I did decide on a school to attend this fall and had every intention of enrolling. However, a sudden personal crisis arose and that is the real reason why I had to defer attending graduate school this fall. It has nothing to do with what I just described in this thread. Hence, I mentioned "for legitimate reasons" in my post.
    It was only after I had deferred that I realized the possibility of applying elsewhere to see if I get into anywhere else. There is really nothing to lose for me in this scenario. If it works, I will go to a stronger grad school, and it doesn't work I will go to a good grad school. Do you see what I mean? My question was really about if there are any real consequences to changing my mind about attending after I had deferred.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted