Witness 5000 Paper Lanterns Light Up Beach in Bang Niang

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Paper
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 2K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
8,252
Reaction score
2,666
_41159450_nianglanterns-getty203.jpg

As the evening ceremony in Bang Niang drew to a close, 5,000 paper lanterns were released, lighting up the beach as the mourners stood and watched.

It was an emotional moment, with many bereaved relatives hugging each other as they watched the lights slowly disappear into the sky - each with the name of a victim written on the side.

"The lanterns were fabulous, really magical," said Allison Arlotte, walking along the seafront.

"I think this ceremony has drawn a dotted line for us - we can start looking to the future," she said.[continued]
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4561414.stm
 
Physics news on Phys.org
That must of been breath taking, what a beautiful way to remember those who are loved and missed.
 
I saw that picture and I had the same impression expressed by hypatia - 'breathtaking' and 'how appropriate for remembering lost love ones'.
 
I was trying to find a better picture or video. What a beautiful tradition.
 
NY Times had a really nice one.

I posted it at E-S.
http://www.everything-science.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,82/topic,6628.msg58589#msg58589
 
In a related story, 5000 forest fires were reported in the neighboring country of Burma today.
 
Ivan Seeking said:
In a related story, 5000 forest fires were reported in the neighboring country of Burma today.
http://www.devotedfansnetwork.com/forums/images/smilies/groan.gif
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Moonbear said:
http://www.devotedfansnetwork.com/forums/images/smilies/groan.gif
[/URL]

:smile: :smile: :smile:

Hey, that wasn't so bad... :redface:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
damn, I wanted to be the first one with the tasteless jokes.

I was thinking more along the line of putting out the fires with a bunch of water, a tidal wave maybe.