Work in thermodynamic processes

In summary, the gas in state A expands adiabatically to 7 times its original volume and then returns to state A. The final temperature is 552°C.
roam

Homework Statement

Two moles of an ideal monoatomic gas trebles its initial volume in an isobaric expansion from state A to state B. The gas is then cooled isochorically to state C and finally compressed isothermally until it returns to state A. The molar gas constant is R = 8.314 J mol–1 K–1 and Boltzmann's constant is 1.38 × 10–23 J K–1.

State B corresponds to a pressure P = 8 atm (1 atm = 1.013 × 105 Pa) and temperature T = 552°C. (I also know that temperature of the gas in state A is 275 K)

What is the work done on the surroundings in each of the following processes:

(i) A→B

(ii) C→A

The Attempt at a Solution

(i) This process is isobaric
p = constant = pB

[tex]W=-P(V_B-V_A)[/tex]

I could calculate the volumes from the given information. But it easier to substitute pV = nRT for each state and get:
[tex]W = nR(T_B - T_A)[/tex]
W = 8(1.013 × 105) ∙ (8.314).(825.15 K - 275.05 K)
W= 3706389847 J

Why is the value for work so large? The correct answer to this part must be 9150.

(ii)
Since we have an isothermal process:
[tex]pV = nRT = constant = nRT_C[/tex]

W = nRTA ∙ln(VA/VC)

W = 8(1.013 × 105) ∙ 8.314 ∙ 275K ∙ ln (VA/VC)

I'm stuck. How do I get the volumes for states A and C? :confused:

(P.S. I also know that the work done in the processe B→C is 0, because it is an isochoric (i.e. isovolumetric) process).

Physics news on Phys.org
You can find VA directly from the given information, as you yourself stated in (i).

Next is state C. The gas is cooled isochorically from B to C. What does that tell you?

espen180 said:
You can find VA directly from the given information, as you yourself stated in (i).

Next is state C. The gas is cooled isochorically from B to C. What does that tell you?

It tells me that the volume of state C is equal to the volume of state B. So I just need to find the volume for A and B(=C).

So for the volume of C:

[tex]\frac{PV}{T}=nR[/tex]

[tex]\frac{8(1.013 \times 10^5)V}{825 K}=n(8.314)[/tex]

What value do I need to use for the number of moles?

Look through the problem statement. :wink:

espen180 said:
Look through the problem statement. :wink:

I already have. If I use 8 (1.013 × 105) for the pressure, I can't use it again for the number of moles!

What do the two first words say?

espen180 said:
What do the two first words say?

Wow, that was dumb of me. I'm trying to do a lot of things at the same time :shy:
I managed to get part (i) right using the right value for n.

But for part (ii):

8(1.013 × 105)V=2(8.314)(825 K)

V=0.016

Volume of C is 0.016. And the problem says "gas trebles its initial volume in an isobaric expansion from state A to state B", so that means the volume at C is 3 times larger than that of A:

[tex]V_A=\frac{V_C}{3} = \frac{0.016}{3}=5.3 \times 10^{-3}[/tex]

Are these values correct?

W = 2 ∙ 8.314 ∙ 275K ∙ ln (5.3 \times 10^{-3}/0.016)

W=-5052.29

does this answer look alright? :rolleyes:

I haven't done the numeric calculation myself, but your method checks out.

Efficiency tip: Since you know the gas triples in volume, you don't really need to calculate the volume of before/after for the isothermal compression. You know that

[tex]w=nRT\ln\left(\frac{V_A}{V_C}\right)=nRT\ln\left(\frac{V_A}{3V_A}\right)=-nRT\ln 3[/tex]

:wink:

Thanks a lot for the tips! :smile:

This is my last question: The gas in state A now expands adiabatically to 7 times its original volume (State D). What is the final temperature of the gas?

I tried to use the equation of state for an ideal gas PV=nRT to find the temprature:

[tex]\frac{PV}{T}=nR[/tex]

[tex]\frac{P_iV_i}{T_i}=\frac{P_fV_f}{T_f}[/tex]

I know that in an adiabatic process Q=0 meaning that no energy enters or leaves the system by heat. We don't know whether or not the pressure is constant, but since I don't know the final pressure I assume it is constant

[tex]\frac{1}{T_i}=\frac{7}{T_f}[/tex]

When I substitute the values and solve for the Tf my answer is wrong. Am I using the wrong equation?

For adiabatic processes, you need the adiabat equation

[tex]T_1V_1^{\alpha}=T_2V_2^{\alpha}[/tex] where [tex]\alpha[/tex] is the number of degrees of freedom divided by 2, which is [tex]\alpha=\frac{3}{2}[/tex] for a monoatomic ideal gas, or [tex]\alpha=\frac{5}{2}[/tex] for a diatomic ideal gas.

Can you take it from there?

espen180 said:
For adiabatic processes, you need the adiabat equation

[tex]T_1V_1^{\alpha}=T_2V_2^{\alpha}[/tex] where [tex]\alpha[/tex] is the number of degrees of freedom divided by 2, which is [tex]\alpha=\frac{3}{2}[/tex] for a monoatomic ideal gas, or [tex]\alpha=\frac{5}{2}[/tex] for a diatomic ideal gas.

Can you take it from there?

Thank you very much, that was very helpful. I really appreciate your help.

No problem. :-)

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of science that deals with the relationship between heat, energy, and work. It studies how energy is transferred and transformed in physical systems, and how it affects the properties of matter.

2. What is meant by work in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, work is defined as the transfer of energy from one system to another by means of a force acting through a distance. It is a form of energy that can cause changes in the state of a system, such as changing its temperature, pressure, or volume.

3. How is work related to thermodynamic processes?

Work is an integral part of thermodynamic processes, as it is the means by which energy is transferred and transformed within a system. Work can be done on a system, causing it to gain energy, or work can be done by a system, causing it to lose energy.

4. What are the different types of work in thermodynamics?

There are three types of work in thermodynamics: mechanical work, electrical work, and flow work. Mechanical work involves the movement of a system's boundaries, electrical work involves the transfer of charge between two systems, and flow work involves the movement of matter into or out of a system.

5. How is work calculated in thermodynamics?

The amount of work done in a thermodynamic process can be calculated using the equation W = Fd, where W is work, F is the external force applied to a system, and d is the distance over which the force is applied. Work can also be calculated using other thermodynamic equations, such as the first law of thermodynamics or the ideal gas law.