Work is done by the force of gravity on the bike?

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems involving calculating work. The first problem involves a bicycle rider pushing a bike up a steep hill with a given mass, incline, road length, and force. The second problem involves pushing a stalled car with a decreasing force and creating a force-displacement graph. The conversation also mentions formulas for calculating work and asks for clarification on which formula to use.
geroallynne
I need help badly!

1. A bicycle rider pushes a bicycle that has a mass of 13 kg up a steep hill. The incline is 25* and the road is 275 m long. The rider pushes the bike parallel to the road with a force of 25N. How much work is done by the force of gravity on the bike?

2. Your car has stalled and you need to push it. Suppose for the first 15 m, your force decreased at a constant rate from 210-40.0N. How much work did oyu do on the car? Draw a force-displacement graph to represent the work done during this period.

Please help me. i am in need!

Physics news on Phys.org
geroallynne said:
1. A bicycle rider pushes a bicycle that has a mass of 13 kg up a steep hill. The incline is 25* and the road is 275 m long. The rider pushes the bike parallel to the road with a force of 25N. How much work is done by the force of gravity on the bike?

2. Your car has stalled and you need to push it. Suppose for the first 15 m, your force decreased at a constant rate from 210-40.0N. How much work did oyu do on the car? Draw a force-displacement graph to represent the work done during this period.

Please help me. i am in need!
You need to know the definition of work. Can you state what it is as you understand it?

In these two questions, mainly the first i don't understand which formula to used. the ones that i have are W = Fd and W = fdcos* <-- theta..
and in the second question, i don't understand which formula to use either.
Thank you for your help

geroallynne said:
In these two questions, mainly the first i don't understand which formula to used. the ones that i have are W = Fd and W = fdcos* <-- theta..
and in the second question, i don't understand which formula to use either.
Thank you for your help

For the first one, which component of gravity does work along the path?

As for the second one, do you have any idea how you could calculate the work from the force-displacement diagram?

1. What is the force of gravity?

The force of gravity is the force that pulls objects towards each other. On Earth, this force is caused by the planet's mass and is what keeps objects, including bikes, on the ground.

2. How does gravity affect a bike?

Gravity affects a bike by pulling it towards the ground, causing it to stay on the road. It also affects the bike's speed and acceleration when going downhill or uphill.

3. Why is work done by the force of gravity on a bike?

Work is done by the force of gravity on a bike because gravity causes the bike to move. As the bike moves, it overcomes the force of gravity, and work is done.

4. How can the force of gravity on a bike be calculated?

The force of gravity on a bike can be calculated using the equation F=mg, where F is the force of gravity, m is the mass of the bike, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s² on Earth).

5. Can the force of gravity on a bike be changed?

The force of gravity on a bike cannot be changed as it is a constant force caused by the planet's mass. However, the bike's weight and position can affect how much force is felt by the rider.