Work out the variance of the gamma

In summary, the individual is trying to work out the variance of the gamma distribution or function. They are stuck on the part where they need to multiply x^2 by the function and are unsure of how to work out the value of \Gamma(\alpha + 2). They mention that they know \Gamma(\alpha + 1) = \alpha \Gamma(\alpha) but are still confused. They also clarify that they were talking about the gamma function, not the probability distribution.
gerv13
Hi, I'm trying to work out the variance of the gamma(I'm up the the part where you multiply [tex] x^2[/tex] by the function), but i don't know how to work out what

[tex]\gamma(\alpha + 2) [/tex] equals to

i know I am supposed to use the fact that [tex] \gamma(\alpha + 1) = \alpha \gamma(\alpha) [/tex]

but i don't understand what to do, please help

Physics news on Phys.org

It's not clear whether you are talking about the gamma probability distribution or the gamma function. The gamma function has the property that [itex]\Gamma(\alpha+1)= \alpha\Gamma(\alpha)[/itex] but is normally represented by the capital [itex]\Gamma[/itex], not [itex]\gamma[/itex].

In any case, [itex]\Gamma(\alpha+ 2)= \Gamma(\alpha+1+ 1)[/itex][itex]= (\alpha+1)\Gamma(\alpha+1)= (\alpha+ 1)\alpha\Gamma(\alpha)[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
It's not clear whether you are talking about the gamma probability distribution or the gamma function.

gerv13 said:
Hi, I'm trying to work out the variance of the gamma

I'm not sure either, but I have to guess its the probability distribution.

yupp i actually meant [tex]\Gamma[/tex] sorry about that. but thanks for the help

What is the gamma distribution?

The gamma distribution is a continuous probability distribution that is often used in statistical analysis to model data that is skewed to the right. It is a two-parameter distribution that is characterized by its shape and scale parameters.

How do you calculate the variance of the gamma distribution?

The variance of the gamma distribution can be calculated using the following formula: Var(X) = α/β², where α is the shape parameter and β is the scale parameter. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the moment generating function.

What is the relationship between the shape and scale parameters in the gamma distribution?

The shape parameter (α) determines the shape of the distribution, while the scale parameter (β) determines the location and spread of the distribution. A higher shape parameter results in a more peaked distribution, while a higher scale parameter results in a wider distribution.

Can the variance of the gamma distribution ever be negative?

No, the variance of any distribution, including the gamma distribution, cannot be negative. It is a measure of the spread of the data and is always a positive value.

What are some real-world applications of the gamma distribution?

The gamma distribution is commonly used in fields such as finance, physics, and engineering to model data that is skewed to the right, such as income, queueing times, and rainfall. It is also used in reliability analysis to model the time until failure of a system.