Working With A Rectangular Garden

In summary, the problem involves a rectangular garden with dimensions 15 meters by 10 meters, surrounded by a walkway of width x. The equation for the perimeter of the walkway is y = 4x + 50, and there are two different perimeters to consider - the outer perimeter of the walkway (2(2x+15)+2(2x+10)) and the inner perimeter, which is equal to the perimeter of the garden (2*15+2*10).
nycmathguy
Homework Statement
1. Draw a diagram representing the problem.
2. Write equation representing the perimeter.
Relevant Equations
P = 2L + 2W
The length and width of a rectangular garden are 15 meters and 10 meters, respectively. A walkway of width x surrounds the garden.

(a) Draw a diagram that gives a visual representation of the problem.

(b) Write the equation for the perimeter y of the walkway in terms of x.

For (a), see attachment.

For (b):

y = 2L + 2W

y = 2(x + 15) + 2(x + 10)

y = 2x + 30 + 2x + 20

y = 4x + 50

Is any of this right?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210619-182339_Drawing Pad.jpg
    Screenshot_20210619-182339_Drawing Pad.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 108
Physics news on Phys.org
nycmathguy said:
Homework Statement:: 1. Draw a diagram representing the problem.
2. Write equation representing the perimeter.
Relevant Equations:: P = 2L + 2W

y = 2(x + 15) + 2(x + 10)
y=2(2x+15)+2(2x+10)

Attachments

• garden walkway width x.jpg
    garden walkway width x.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 113
Likes nycmathguy
anuttarasammyak said:
y=2(2x+15)+2(2x+10)
I was right the first time but doubted my work.

nycmathguy said:
A walkway of width x surrounds the garden.
(a) Draw a diagram that gives a visual representation of the problem.

nycmathguy said:
I was right the first time but doubted my work.
Your diagram, which is part a, is incorrect. The work for part b, but it doesn't align with your drawing. You have x being the length of the short side of the outer rectangle. Per the problem statement, x is the width of the walkway.

I think we should discriminate between the outer and the inner perimeter of the walkway.
The outer perimeter of the walkway is 2(2x+15)+2(2x+10).
The inner perimeter of the walkway is equal to the perimeter of the garden, that is 2*15+2*10.

Likes SammyS and Mark44
Mark44 said:
Your diagram, which is part a, is incorrect. The work for part b, but it doesn't align with your drawing. You have x being the length of the short side of the outer rectangle. Per the problem statement, x is the width of the walkway.
Can you draw the right figure for me?

nycmathguy said:
Can you draw the right figure for me?
Come on... you can do it. The garden is 15 by 10, and there is a walkway around the garden that is x feet wide.

Mark44 said:
Come on... you can do it. The garden is 15 by 10, and there is a walkway around the garden that is x feet wide.
See attachment.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210621-164120_Drawing Pad.jpg
    Screenshot_20210621-164120_Drawing Pad.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 99

1. How do I measure the area of my rectangular garden?

To measure the area of a rectangular garden, you will need to measure the length and width of the garden using a measuring tape. Then, multiply the length by the width to get the total area in square feet.

2. What is the best way to prepare the soil in a rectangular garden?

The best way to prepare the soil in a rectangular garden is to first remove any weeds or debris. Then, loosen the soil with a garden fork or tiller. Add compost or fertilizer to enrich the soil and mix it in thoroughly. Finally, smooth out the soil and remove any large rocks or clumps.

3. How much sunlight does a rectangular garden need?

Most plants require at least 6-8 hours of sunlight per day, so it is recommended to place your rectangular garden in an area that receives full sun. However, some plants may thrive in partial shade, so it is important to research the specific needs of the plants you are growing.

4. What are some common plants that grow well in a rectangular garden?

Some common plants that grow well in rectangular gardens include tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, carrots, and herbs. It is important to choose plants that are suitable for your climate and the amount of sunlight your garden receives.

5. How often should I water my rectangular garden?

The frequency of watering your rectangular garden will depend on several factors such as the type of plants, weather conditions, and soil type. As a general rule, most gardens will need to be watered 1-2 times per week, but it is important to check the soil moisture level regularly and adjust your watering schedule accordingly.