1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Would a Bird Be Able to Fly on The Moon?

1. Jun 20, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The bird is fitted with a breathing apparatus, released on the moon could it fly?

2. Relevant equations

It doesn't violate any of Newtons laws, but I could be missing something.

3. The attempt at a solution

The best answer that is listed is that the question is in error.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2012 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Does the moon have an atmosphere?

4. Jun 20, 2012 #3
    What are the forces acting on a bird as it flies?

5. Jun 20, 2012 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What's your reasoning?

6. Jun 20, 2012 #5
    The moon has gravity. And I don't see how the laws of motion could be changed.

7. Jun 20, 2012 #6
    Here is another, a feather and a coin are dropped on the moon from the same height which hits sooner? I know I have to take the moon's gravity into account. Is there a formula to solve this?

I'd like to think they would drop at the same time because of no wind resistince?

8. Jun 20, 2012 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

The gravitational pull is not what keeps a bird up. How does a bird on Earth stay aloft?

9. Jun 20, 2012 #8
    By air.. And there is no wind resistance from what I concluded with in the other problem..

10. Jun 20, 2012 #9

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The laws of motion are certainly not changed on the moon. Does the moon have what is required for a bird to fly? How do they fly anyway?

11. Jun 20, 2012 #10

turbo

Gold Member

Can a fish swim without water? Can a bird fly without air? Just a hint @ OP.

12. Jun 20, 2012 #11
    No, the bird would not be able to fly. Violating Newtons second law then?

13. Jun 20, 2012 #12

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

why do you think a law would be violated?

14. Jun 20, 2012 #13
    The choices are violating newtons 1st, 2'd, or 3rd law or no gravity on the moon or the question is in error. I think the 2'd law because accel=net force/ mass, accel. would be low enough the bird could not fly? I am still thinking.

15. Jun 20, 2012 #14
    I have to right now. Thank you for any further help.

16. Jun 20, 2012 #15

Pengwuino

Gold Member

If those are the only options, the question was not posed with the correct answer.

If the question is posed as "IF a bird were to fly on the moon, what laws of physics would be violated", then there is a solution. If there is no air, there is nothing for a bird to apply any forces to to keep aloft.

17. Jun 20, 2012 #16
    Technicality: the bird could be placed in a low orbit around the moon complete with breathing apparatus.

So yes, a bird *can be made to* fly astronautically on the moon but not using its innate biological capacity for aerodynamic flight.

18. Jun 21, 2012 #17
    I think it violates Newton's 3rd. Law. Action up reaction none. As in conservation of momentum.
    Once you violate the law, it becomes unphysical. If a ghost can push you down, but you can't push him/her back then the ghost is unphysical.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  19. Jun 21, 2012 #18
    Depends on how you define "fly". How much time should one be in the air in order to "fly".

20. Jun 21, 2012 #19
    If it glides, it needs 3rd law too.
    Maybe it just orbiting the moon at low altitude.
    Radius of the moon, 1,737.10 km (0.273 Earths)
    Acceleration say 1/3 of g.

mg=0.5mv2/r
    v≈3km/sec.

I don't know of any bird can fly that fast.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook