Would buying an air purifier be helpful for Home/Apt?

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air
In summary, an air purifier may be helpful if you have allergies and eczema. It may also be helpful if you have a lot of rooms in your house. The machines can be expensive, and it may be worth it to buy a few filters.
kyphysics said:
Does Bleach Kill Mold?
The idea that bleach can kill mold is a myth!
In reality, bleach only kills surface mold,

That language is really imprecise. They are wrong. Bleach does kill mold. The next sentence even says that. You should look for better sources, methinks. Adding "only surface" doesn't change the fact that bleach kills mold.It's like a serial killer telling the Judge "But I never killed anyone (in the subway)!"

So bleach does kill mold. Period. The question is, will it keep it from growing back? That's a separate question. Understanding the difference will help find the solution (no pun intended) for a specific scenario.
kyphysics said:
Does that apply to "General Chat," though? I figured this was more relaxed and not like the homework help section, where we had to show proof of working out a problem first before asking for help. ...
I suppose things are looser here (I don't pay much attention to the category, since I generally click from the "new posts" page.). But I still think it is helpful to you (everyone) to put some effort into thinking about the problem before you look for answers from others. Otherwise, how do you know if their info is any good? I think that's part of what got you into some trouble earlier. And as was mentioned earlier, a little thought process on that Eva-dry stuff would have made it clear that's not going to do the job in a large area.

BTW, those EVa-Dry type products are used effectively by people with 'kegerators'. When you convert a freezer to beer temperatures, you no longer get a de-frost cycle (it deactivates a few degrees above freezing), so you don't get de-humidifying. But that's an enclosed space with little air flow. World of difference.

Physics news on Phys.org
kyphysics said:
Here is what I came across
You are some seriously vulnerable to the basic clickbait techniques. That site is trying to sell some service/product. And to get attention, they are using a carefully imprecise language to make you believe they are something more than any other competitor.
But that's just wrong. By using these techniques they are less than any of their competitors. At least, far less honest.

Likes russ_watters
Rive said:
You are some seriously vulnerable to the basic clickbait techniques. That site is trying to sell some service/product. And to get attention, they are using a carefully imprecise language to make you believe they are something more than any other competitor.
But that's just wrong. By using these techniques they are less than any of their competitors. At least, far less honest.

They might be wrong about bleach not killing all of mold on porous surfaces. I don’t know. I’m still in the discovery phase of things.

However, merely being a business or using persuasion to get a point across doesn’t necessarily make one wrong (both factually and morally). Any good business should be proud to sell their services. And persuasion is not the same as manipulation. Steven K. Scott defines persuasion as trying to get people to do what’s in their own best interests, while manipulation is trying to get someone to do what’s in your best interest only (not both sides). If this company’s statements are factually accurate, I don’t hold it against them that they may be advertising their business services. I mean, how else would we know to use a professional and not DIY when it’s unwise to?

So, yes, they may not be academic scientists with zero business goals behind their statements, but that has no bearing on the truth of their statements.

kyphysics said:
So, yes, they may not be academic scientists with zero business goals behind their statements, but that has no bearing on the truth of their statements.
..and also even a dead clock will be precise at least twice a day...

What I can't really understand is, that why are you repeatedly trying to advocate clickbait here?

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
Rive said:
..and also even a dead clock will be precise at least twice a day...

What I can't really understand is, that why are you repeatedly trying to advocate clickbait here?

Wow. You really are trying to provoke me aren’t you? I won’t respond back to you as a poster ever again should you not heed this warning. Don’t falsely or erroneously accuse me of something.

Don’t. And don’t be argumentative for the sake of being argumentative.

I’m not posting clickbait, as I JUST got suspended for something related to a misunderstanding related to that and returned to this forum yesterday. Don’t go around talking like that and end up getting me kicked out for good! MODS, you see that I’m not playing around here! No one had better falsely accuse me of anything.

If you think something is factually incorrect about their statements, do point it out. I don’t see it, but am open to being corrected if they are factually wrong. They say that on porous surfaces mold won’t be entirely killed by bleach and often returns worse by feeding off the bleach. They give reasoning for these assertions. You are welcome to show me how they are wrong and to deal with their reasoning, as opposed to a general statement saying they are wrong (without saying how and why). Do you see how that’s unhelpful and why saying I am advocating clickbait is inflammatory and an aggressive way of socially speaking to someone?

kyphysics said:

I’m not posting clickbait, as I JUST got suspended for something related to a misunderstanding related to that and returned to this forum yesterday. ...

Then you should be more careful. We can't determine intent, but it fits your previous pattern that got you in trouble "Here's some info I found! <link>". You don't put the slightest effort into determining if the info is valid or not, but link to it anyway. Just like those other 'financial guru' links - you could have easily done some basic research and seen the info was bad before posting links to it.

If you don't understand that, my Crystal Ball tells me your time on this forum is short. And you will have a tough time in the real world as well - you really should learn some basic methods for evaluating information that you come across.

Likes russ_watters
What info. here is incorrect? Point it out. Or, is it that there isn’t anything wrong with their mold statements?

Re:financial thread I disagree that it was bad info,but haven’t had time to respond to posts in that thread. I also told a moderator I’d take a break from it also for the time being. So I disagree with you there as well.

kyphysics said:
What info. here is incorrect? Point it out. Or, is it that there isn’t anything wrong with their mold statements?

Re:financial thread I disagree that it was bad info,but haven’t had time to respond to posts in that thread. I also told a moderator I’d take a break from it also for the time being. So I disagree with you there as well.
Read my post #36.

I'm not going to re-hash the financial thread, and it wouldn't be fair if you are taking a break from that, but just reread it, some of us pointed out clear issues with the 'guru' info (i.e. don't use 'average' annual returns, unless you are trying to trick me).

Yeah, you were nitpicking the language they used and not applying common sense SAT reading comprehension for everyday vernacular (which is why I temporarily ignored that useless post).

I could do that too and be a “word Nazi” and play games and waste people’s time here saying they are wrong on stuff they clearly had no intention of meaning to say. But, I apply some charity to reading and interpreting other’s thoughts and basic reading comprehension techniques used to communicate in everyday situations. You made a fuss about nothing above, as I already pointed out to CWatters what I missed in his post. Did you read that part?

You post a lot of angry inflammatory stuff that doesn’t give people basic charity of interpretation.

P.s. using a crappy iPad keyboard atm...sorry if I’m sounding rude... not intended, but have to type fast and can’t spend time parsing my words better...these keyboard take forever to type they suck

I'm done with you.

Thread has run its course and is locked. Thanks everyone for the help.

Likes Tom.G and NTL2009