Would I do well in physics majors?

• Programs
  • Thread starter Abidal Sala
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: If you don't have that full blown passion for physics then it won't work. In summary, the key to success in physics and math is a strong passion and willingness to put in the work. High school grades do not determine future success, but it is important to have a good understanding of the material. It is ultimately up to the individual to determine if they have the drive and dedication to pursue a career in physics.
Abidal Sala
I would like to be a physicist, I've always been fascinated by this field, but what I was afraid of is that It will be hard to continue to MA and PhD because of the difficulty of physics, and end up being a physics teacher at high school.. I am finishing 12th grade now and my grades in maths and physics are always around 70%.. would I make success later on?

Physics news on Phys.org
Who can predict the future?

I would like to see opinions of people who entered that field.. I guess I'm asking whether or not it is too competitive

Abidal Sala said:
maths and physics are always around 70%.. would I make success later on?

Not if those study habits don't change. High school grades really don't matter once you're in college, so long as you turn things around and start earning higher marks. You'll be retaking physics, and likely starting at the bottom of the calculus ladder (or lower, depending on how you test on the placement exams). Like everyone else. It's a great opportunity to change the way you study and start out 'fresh'. If you were a 3rd year Physics major this would be a different conversation. xD

People (the average person) can succeed in physics and math if they put in the work. Only you can know if you're willing to do that.. for 10+ years of your life. If the interest isn't there you just won't have the proverbial fuel to burn through those years and you'll give up and change your major/drop out. Again, only you can know.

There is no clear indicator for who will be successful in physics and who won't.

However, when your high school grades are hovering around the 70% range, that's not something in your favour. Marks mean a lot as you transition from high school to your undergraduate courses. They count for less as you move on. But the flag in your case is basically a question. Are you really understaning the material? If you are and your marks are mediocre because you just aren't applying yourself, then that's something that needs to change. If you are really struggling at the high school level you have to keep in mind that the material doesn't really get any easier the further you go in academia.

Well, the overall of my grades is always around 85%, so fitting into college isn't a problem for me.. so I think I will be doing physics and i do have the intention of investing a decade or so in that.. hopefully I will be going to college by the end of this summer which is exciting, but I hope my parents won't be irritated when I reveal my decision..

and thanks for your answers :)

This is like asking if a marriage will work out. The answer is always, " No, they never work out." If a marriage works it is because the two people had a driving passion to make it work under all conditions. If you have a Passion for physics and a strong desire and willingness to make it work, then it will work.

1. What skills do I need to be successful in a physics major?

To excel in a physics major, you will need strong analytical and critical thinking skills, as well as a solid foundation in mathematics. It is also helpful to have good problem-solving abilities and a strong curiosity for understanding the natural world.

2. Is physics a difficult major?

Physics can be a challenging major, but with dedication and hard work, it is definitely achievable. It requires a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and the ability to think abstractly. However, with the right study habits and support from professors and peers, you can succeed in a physics major.

3. What career opportunities are available with a physics major?

A physics major can lead to a variety of career paths, including research positions in academia, industry, or government institutions. It can also prepare you for careers in engineering, data science, finance, and even medicine. The analytical and problem-solving skills gained through a physics major are highly valued in many industries.

4. Is it necessary to have previous experience in physics to major in it?

No, it is not necessary to have previous experience in physics before majoring in it. However, a strong foundation in mathematics and a curiosity for understanding the physical world are important qualities to have. Many students who major in physics have not taken a physics course before, and they are still able to excel in the major.

5. What can I do to prepare for a physics major?

To prepare for a physics major, it is beneficial to take advanced math courses in high school such as calculus and trigonometry. You can also read books and articles about physics to familiarize yourself with the subject matter. It is also helpful to practice problem-solving and critical thinking skills, as these are essential for success in a physics major.