Would it be possible to implement a "psychology" sub-forum?

In summary: (continues)It's been my longstanding impression for a while now, that the internet needs a team of psychologists to address negative affective attitudes. I would be willing and able to financially support such a venture.I should note perhaps, that my goal is a positivistic conception of psychology, not the self-fulfilling fatalistic hogwash that psychology is known for since Freud. Rather similar to Maslow, a self-actualizing entity inhabits every person, and should (?) be...That makes a lot of sense and I completely agree. We definitely need more people with your mindset in the field.
Q-1
Many of my interests align with psychology and understanding human behaviour and nature. I spend considerable time on the internet devoting my studies on self-actualization enhancement and improvement by trying to understand myself better. I am deeply enamoured by the objectivity of this forum and with it the resulting topics that can be said on any particular psychological issue (devoid emotional content).

I would hope to ask if it is possible to implement a specific category devoted to analyzing psychological "dynamics" process' and such matters.

If this is irrelevant please don't hesitate to throw it in the trash bin.

Physics news on Phys.org
Q-1 said:
Many of my interests align with psychology and understanding human behaviour and nature. I spend considerable time on the internet devoting my studies on self-actualization enhancement and improvement by trying to understand myself better. I am deeply enamoured by the objectivity of this forum and with it the resulting topics that can be said on any particular psychological issue (devoid emotional content).

I would hope to ask if it is possible to implement a specific category devoted to analyzing psychological "dynamics" process' and such matters.

I suggest a forum search. This has been proposed several times. It's not going to happen.

Likes Bystander
phinds said:
I suggest a forum search. This has been proposed several times. It's not going to happen.

Understood. Though, you can't have darkness without light.

Could you provide me with the designated topics you are referring to? I had better acquaint myself with the underlying rationale behind that idea to steer in calm and steady waters.

Adding forums doesn't generate traffic, empty forums don't make sense. When there will be traffic, we can think about channeling it to its own place.

Applies to very topic and every branch of science.

Likes Wrichik Basu
Q-1 said:
Understood. Though, you can't have darkness without light.

Could you provide me with the designated topics you are referring to? I had better acquaint myself with the underlying rationale behind that idea to steer in calm and steady waters.
I suggest a forum search.

phinds said:
I suggest a forum search.

Do you have a particular thread in mind? My abilities are limited at what I can search for here.

Q-1 said:
Do you have a particular thread in mind? My abilities are limited at what I can search for here.
I just searched for "psychology forum" and found threads discussing adding sub forums

Borek said:
Adding forums doesn't generate traffic, empty forums don't make sense. When there will be traffic, we can think about channeling it to its own place.
Alternatively, as in Field of Dreams, "If you build it they will come." :wink:

Q-1 said:
As mentioned in that thread, this is one problematic issue:
jedishrfu said:
I'm not sure about a Psychology forum as that seldom comes up or it comes up tending toward philosophy which we don't discuss here.
For psychological issues discussed in the peer-reviewed literature, you can probably discuss them in our existing Medical forum. As long as they stay centered on the science, don't sway into philosophy, and nobody is asking for medical advice or diagnoses, such a thread would probably be okay.

As you can see, that's a pretty narrow focus, so keeping such threads in the Medical forum makes the most sense for now. Also, to grow such a forum, we would likely need a licensed psychologist on the Mentor staff, to help to Moderate the new forum. We are lucky to have subject matter experts for Mentors and SAs in our existing forums, which helps to keep the posting quality high, and helps us to deal (hopefully fairly) with problematic posts and threads when they come up. :smile:

A "Human Factors" engineering forum might bridge gaps. For example, almost any discussion of user controls invokes human biology, psychology and perception.

Linguistics and knowledge theory seem logical categories as in-roads into the physical forums particularly as organizing and accessing the vast wealth of data, information, and knowledge remain critical to learning science.

berkeman said:
Also, to grow such a forum, we would likely need a licensed psychologist on the Mentor staff, to help to Moderate the new forum.

It's been my longstanding impression for a while now, that the internet needs a team of psychologists to address negative affective attitudes. I would be willing and able to financially support such a venture.

I should note perhaps, that my goal is a positivistic conception of psychology, not the self-fulfilling fatalistic hogwash that psychology is known for since Freud. Rather similar to Maslow, a self-actualizing entity inhabits every person, and should (?) be fostered.

Likes Klystron
IIRC we once had a forum for the social sciences in general, but it was removed because it didn't get much traffic.

Q-1 said:
It's been my longstanding impression for a while now
:biggrin:

Likes SammyS
If this forum creates a forum for every single topic that people suggest, we will need pages and pages of listing of all the various forum. Finding the proper forum to post in will be a convoluted mess!

My original and repeated argument still stands: (i) show that there is a high level of interest in the subject, and (ii) that there will be a sustained level of participation in that subject after that forum has been created.

This is first, and foremost, a physics forum, or more broadly, a physical science forum. It should not be a surprise to anyone that topics that are within such realm will have not only greater attention, but also higher level of participation than other topics. After all, I do not see that many people wanting to discuss particle accelerators in a Disney forum, regardless of how important particle accelerators are.

Zz.

Likes DrClaude
Agree with the Zapper on content. The criteria for establishing sub-forums -- prove sustained interest in advance -- appears stringent but measurable using data from recent and extant forums. IT (information theory/tech) provides measures such as number_visitor, I/O_intervals, dwell_time; that provide exemplars that represent 'interest in the sub-forum content' correctly weighted.Physical science remains the bedrock. IT doesn't get a break from this strong criteria because it provides tools to scientists -- so do glass-blowers, and pigment grinders -- very "physical" professions. IT completes the criteria because IT's based on mathematics and electronics.

Consider Anthropology. Physical anthropologists provide 'hard data' but cultural anthropologists, specifically linguists and ethnographers, also provide hard physical data in the form of recorded speech. Mathematicians studying languages can confirm the rich data environment derived from 'sound files' compared to rather dry character compilations of written speech.

Last edited:
Even if we don't have a forum about some scientific topic, it's still possible to post about it in the General Discussion forum. We do require that such posts follow our general guidelines, most notably that they avoid personal theories and are grounded in research that has been published in recognized peer-reviewed journals or textbooks.

Likes Klystron
Q-1 said:

Simple; Wrong Forum!

That much has been discussed in more detail.

Look for other forums on the internet and maybe you will find suitable ones to explore further.

Psychological-based discussions which might work on Physcsforums could be, group-interactions among teams of various physical scientists and engineers; group or personal interactions between life-science and physical scientists ; or maybe frustrations in the interactions among business people and technical people; but none of these might deserve a dedicated board on Physicsforums.

Likes Klystron

1. Can the field of psychology be effectively discussed in an online forum?

While online forums can be a great platform for discussion, the field of psychology is broad and complex, and may require more in-depth and personal interactions than a forum can provide. It is important to consider the limitations of an online forum when discussing such a nuanced subject.

2. What topics would be appropriate for a psychology sub-forum?

This would depend on the specific guidelines and rules set by the forum administrators. Generally, topics related to psychological theories, research, and practices could be included, but it is important to consider ethical and sensitive topics and handle them appropriately.

3. How can the privacy of forum members be protected in a psychology sub-forum?

Privacy is a key concern in any online forum, especially when discussing personal and sensitive topics like psychology. The forum could have strict rules in place to ensure members' identities and personal information are protected, and moderators could closely monitor discussions to prevent any violations of members' privacy.

4. How would the credibility and accuracy of information in a psychology sub-forum be ensured?

As with any online forum, the credibility and accuracy of information shared would rely on the forum members and moderators. It would be important for the forum to have clear guidelines on acceptable sources and for moderators to fact-check and remove any false or misleading information.

5. Would professionals in the field of psychology be involved in the discussions in the sub-forum?

This would depend on the forum's guidelines and the involvement of professionals would likely vary. Some forums may have certified professionals as moderators or allow them to participate in discussions, while others may be limited to non-professional members. It is important to consider the qualifications and expertise of those participating in the discussions.