Would it be weird to show a program I wrote to my professor?

In summary, the speaker is a second-year Computer Engineering student who has written their own 8085 simulator. They are unsure of what to do with it and are considering showing it to their professor, but are worried about coming across as arrogant or annoying. They receive advice to approach their professor in a humble manner and ask for their opinion on the simulator. They are grateful for the advice and plan to follow it.
Quem
I'm a second year Comp E student, and in an intro class we're learning 8085 assembler. The professor wrote his own simulator for the class, but it's kinda buggy and I feel like it's been given minimal updates since he wrote it some 15 years ago. I was looking for a programming project, so I wrote my own 8085 simulator. The problem is now I'm not sure what to do with it. I was thinking I could show it to my professor, but I'm not sure if that would be weird?

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Just send him a polite email (last thing you want to do is insult him) and say you have written an 8085 simulator and you wanted his opinion on it because he has written one before for your intro class. Maybe from there you can suggest that he uses it in the future. But just approach it as a 'look what i did' instead of 'im better than you'.

Try to be humble about this if you can. In any case I think you should show your professor. If your work is good this will reflect very very highly on you.

Alright, thanks. I just wasn't sure how to word the email, but I think asking for his opinion on it sounds good. I also wasn't sure if it he would see it as annoying or if I would be bothering him, but I guess not.

Thanks for the advice!

As a scientist, it is always encouraged to share your work and ideas with your peers and mentors. In this situation, it would not be weird to show your program to your professor. In fact, it could be a valuable learning experience for both you and your professor. Your professor may be interested in seeing your approach to simulating the 8085 assembler and may even have some suggestions or feedback for improvement. Additionally, showing your work to your professor could also showcase your skills and passion for the subject, potentially leading to future opportunities such as research or projects. It is always important to take advantage of opportunities to share and receive feedback on your work, and in this case, showing your program to your professor would be a great way to do so.

1. Is it appropriate to show my professor a program I wrote?

Yes, it is absolutely appropriate to show your professor a program you wrote. In fact, many professors encourage students to share their work and seek feedback.

2. Will my professor think it's weird if I show them my program?

No, your professor will not think it's weird. They are there to help you learn and improve, and seeing your work can give them a better understanding of your progress and abilities.

3. Should I only show my professor a program that I think is perfect?

No, you should not wait until your program is perfect to show your professor. It is important to seek feedback and make improvements throughout the development process.

4. Is it better to show my program in person or through email?

This depends on your professor's preferences and availability. If possible, it is always better to show your program in person so you can explain your thought process and receive immediate feedback.

5. What if my professor doesn't understand my program?

If your professor doesn't understand your program, it could be an opportunity for you to clarify and explain your code. This can also help you identify areas that may need improvement. Remember, it's okay if your professor doesn't fully understand your program - the important thing is that you are learning and seeking feedback.