Yahoo mail blocked me from sending a program I wrote, what can I do?

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
I wrote a small program that I want to email to someone, it got blocked siting it contain potential security issue!! What can I do, I am sure people send .exe by email, or else how can programmers work at home!! Please advice.

Thanks

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
Yeah, my work e-mail blocks all *.exe, *.bat, *.scr, and other executable files. Sometimes you can just change the suffix to *.bin or something, and sometimes that works. But not always. Even putting the offending file in a zip file usually doesn't help, but you might try changing the suffix and putting it in a password-protected zip file -- maybe the e-mail server won't be able to check it for executable contents.

One option we use instead is to post it to a OneDrive folder, and give access to that folder to the person you want to get the file. Do you have a OneDrive account?

Likes yungman
jim mcnamara
Mentor
It is a security risk - as @berkeman points out. You need to consider that 99.99% of users on the internet are not programmers and could/would double-click an enclosed file that was executable - and effectively lose their computer.

Shared external sites like pastebin or external password protected cloud servers circumvent a lot of the problems. Sandbox computer systems with a proprietary OS/BIOS/platform are used to run scans on newly acquired files - for high security sites. If the code is executable it cannot run in the foreign environment regardless. Executable image files are indentifiable in the first few dozen bytes.

Likes berkeman
Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Put it on a USB key or SD card and mail it via the post office.

Likes jim mcnamara
Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
But it will get there!

USPS First Class is pretty speedy, even with Covid. (Fewer commercial air flights) They say 1-3 days. Couple bucks for the card/stick, a buck to mail it, and the problem is solved.

berkeman
Mentor
Not if @Borek finds it first! :wink:

Borek
Mentor
You can try cloud storage like google drive, you can try wetransfer dot com.

If someone is paranoid about their security they won't use USB stick from you (google "USB killer").

Funny thing, The USB Stick Found in the Grass does contain several programs - these are just installation versions of free software that can be downloaded from the web. Technically one can use some of them to analyse stick content, but that wasn't my intent, they are there more to make the stick look like something really used to transfer data between computers. When there is no net access for whatever reason USB stick is sometimes the only way to go.

Likes berkeman
Yeah, my work e-mail blocks all *.exe, *.bat, *.scr, and other executable files. Sometimes you can just change the suffix to *.bin or something, and sometimes that works. But not always. Even putting the offending file in a zip file usually doesn't help, but you might try changing the suffix and putting it in a password-protected zip file -- maybe the e-mail server won't be able to check it for executable contents.

One option we use instead is to post it to a OneDrive folder, and give access to that folder to the person you want to get the file. Do you have a OneDrive account?
Thanks , wow, I did not know all this!!! I don't even know what is One Drive, my computer keep asking me on restart, I kept ignoring it. I have to look into this more. Do I have to pay for it?

I tried to change the extension, but it doesn't seems to allow me as there is not extension, it just said it's an application file and when doing rename, it just change the name.

Likes berkeman
berkeman
Mentor
Thanks , wow, I did not know all this!!! I don't even know what is One Drive, my computer keep asking me on restart, I kept ignoring it. I have to look into this more. Do I have to pay for it?

I tried to change the extension, but it doesn't seems to allow me as there is not extension, it just said it's an application file and when doing rename, it just change the name.
Did you try the password protected zip file yet? It that doesn't work, then OneDrive or the other shared options or the snail thing look to be your only options...

There was a famous case in IBM where a student wrote a Christmas tree program in Rexx and sent it to his fellow students. One of its features was reading your email contacts list and sending it to them.

The cascading resends put IBMs internal world wide network on life support and it had to be shutdown to purge the errant script.

Almost immediately, IBM allowed Rex scripts to be sent but munged the script extention from .exec to .cexe to avoid future executions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_Tree_EXEC

I remember it well.

Likes berkeman
Did you try the password protected zip file yet? It that doesn't work, then OneDrive or the other shared options or the snail thing look to be your only options...
I looked up how to do password protected, I did it on the zip folder. But I don't have the password. I can open on my computer, but if I send it to someone, how is the other person going to open it?

I don't know how to use One drive yet, I can't even open the pdf file to read the instruction or anything as it complain my adobe cannot open it.

Thanks

Last edited:
Borek
Mentor
I looked up how to do password protected, I did it on the zip folder. But I don't have the password. I can open on my computer, but if I send it to someone, how is the other person going to open it?
You define the password, how come you selected one but you don't know it?

You protect the zip file, then you can send the password in an email.

Honestly: I would never hire a programmer who doesn't understand such a basic things :frown:

You define the password, how come you selected one but you don't know it?

You protect the zip file, then you can send the password in an email.

Honestly: I would never hire a programmer who doesn't understand such a basic things :frown:
I am not a programmer and I am not particularly good with computers, this is all new to me. I just spent 4 months learning C++ only and wrote a program and try to send it to my grandson.

During the process of doing the password protect, it never ask me to set up a password. To be more specific, I went online to learn how to do it, it just right click folder, properties, advance and check the Encrypt contents to secure data, ok and apply. That's it, never ask me anything.

Borek
Mentor
OK, I misread your opening post, I thought you were sending exe to a customer.

You are mistaking encrypting data on disk with protecting a zip file with password, these are two completely different things.

Google how to create a zip file. Zip file can be (doesn't have to be) protected with a password that you enter while creating it. That will be something you can send to someone and only people knowing password will be able to open.

Likes yungman
The trick is to zip the files you want to send and apply a password to the zip.

send the zip in one email or via a cloud service as zips over several megs may not be spendable by your email service. I think for google it’s 20 megs. Google will let you send a couple of pics but not over some internal meg limit Which isn’t well advertised.

when you send the password, send it in a separate email where you don’t use the password ie use pswd or p*ssw*rd or something like that so it’s not easily searchable.

to further protect it, you could send part of the password in one email and then call to provide the rest or even use a different email account when sending the password depending on how important protection is.

Likes yungman and berkeman
Sorry I did not come back till now, internet was down until now, ATT had problem in the whole area.

Can anyone suggest a zip program that has password capability? I am using 7-zip and I don't see an option of putting password. Sorry I am not very knowledgeable in all these, just trying not to be obsoleted like other senior citizens.

My program is only 32KB, so size is not an issue!!. This is just a Directory program with name sorting just for practice using Class in C++, just want to email to my grandson(3rd yr CS major) what grandpa learned in 4 months. It's not any professional program.

thanks

Is it too big? or just the name?

Perhaps try an alternate file extension like rename it to .piz or .dat and see if it accepts it.

You can then have your friend rename it back to zip and then decompress it.

Likes yungman
Is it too big? or just the name?

Perhaps try an alternate file extension like rename it to .piz or .dat and see if it accepts it.

You can then have your friend rename it back to zip and then decompress it.
Ha ha, no luck. I change to .doc and still got rejected.

No, the file is only 32K size to start. It's a really simple program, I am proud of it for only started studying for 4 months, but it's child's play for you guys!!

Thanks

berkeman
Mentor
But sadly yahoo mail still refuse to send it out. But thanks for the advice. I learn something.
Wow, you have the file in a password-protected ZIP file and it still can tell that it's an executable? Must be some security feature of ZIP files maybe.

Did you try renaming the file to *.bin instead? Also change the filename, as your e-mail server may be watching for you to try to send it with an altered suffix.

Change the filename to whatever, change the extension to .bin, ZIP it up with a password, and try that?

Likes yungman
Wow, you have the file in a password-protected ZIP file and it still can tell that it's an executable? Must be some security feature of ZIP files maybe.

Did you try renaming the file to *.bin instead? Also change the filename, as your e-mail server may be watching for you to try to send it with an altered suffix.

Change the filename to whatever, change the extension to .bin, ZIP it up with a password, and try that?
I actually use two different yahoo mail, one with Chrome and one with Firefox and of different user names!!! I'll try .bin next.

Thanks

How do you professional programmers sent files? They are known to work at home particularly now, you must be sending programs back and fore to the company and to others. I thought this must be so so common thing to do!!!

berkeman
Mentor
How do you professional programmers sent files? They are known to work at home particularly now, you must be sending programs back and fore to the company and to others. I thought this must be so so common thing to do!!!
Check it into BitBucket via VPN. Release final versions in Arena with ECOs via VPN. Post shared copies on shared drives on internal company servers via VPN from home.

(Or use the OneDrive trick that I suggested earlier) :wink:

Likes pbuk