Would it possible to generate noise/vibration on objects by sonic-wave

• Thread starter William Ahn
  • Start date
In summary, it is possible to generate noise/vibration on objects from remote location using some type of sonic-wave(?) device/gun that can go through solid objects with the current technology. This would involve interference of different sound waves and would be tricky to make. If someone can intuitively tune such a gun so the barrier does not stop the beam, then tuning for target resonance does not seem like much of an effort.
William Ahn
Would it possible to generate noise/vibration on objects from remote location using some type of sonic-wave(?) device/gun that can go through solid objects with the current technology? e.g.
- able generate any random noises/voices, also cause strong vibrations at any location
- able to effect the machines/motors/electric appliances, increase/decrease power output or cause shutdown
- could also be used as an weapon, causes electric shock, painful cramps, or even increase heart rate

p.s. I only said some type of "sonic-wave(?) device/gun" cos I don't know how to describe it..

Physics news on Phys.org
William Ahn said:
Would it possible to generate noise/vibration on objects from remote location using some type of sonic-wave(?) device/gun that can go through solid objects with the current technology?
Yes.
A simple example of the technology would be a loud speaker.

But would it possible to generate noise/vibration on one particular spot behind solid object?

Yes it is ... this would involve interference of different sound waves.
Basically what you are saying is you want the sound to be very loud in a small region and quiet everywhere else. Note: if you are vibrating the air in that regeon, then there will be bleedover as the air vibrations carry the sound away from the regeon.

It would be tricky to make a gun that did this.
The best you manage would be some broad speaker with a reflector that focussed the sound on a spot ... if the initial source were very wide, then the wave energy is spread over a wide area until you get close tot he target. You also have the issue of the effect of the barrier on the sound (absorbtion and reflection, and diffraction effects will affect the final beam). You'd also want to target the resonant frequency of a critical part of the target object so you don't need to put a lot of energy into the beam.

If someone can intuitively tune such a gun so the barrier does not stop the beam, then tuning for target resonance does not seem like much of an effort.
This sort of thing is behind a lot of sound-based super-powers.

Likes William Ahn
i'm sorry guys but we already have a concept of what you suggesting called a sonic screwdriver lol but in real life i know they have levitated stuff with the sound coming out of speakers

Sonic levitation is not quite what OP is talking about. If I understood correctly, the idea is to make a sound-gun so there is a lot of sound in a small volume at range, even though there is a barrier in the way ... like if you wanted to shatter a wineglass sitting on a table in the next room without vibrating anything else.
It is possible to focus sound like that but I don't think something in the style of a gun will do the trick.

Hello Simon,
Thank you very much for very informative and detailed information.
I did little bit of research and found out that there is patented speakers called soundlazer(http://www.soundlazer.com) that can only generate sound in one spot, however it can not go through solid objects.

The reason I made this thread is that I have been hearing weird random noises/vibration(as well as pain) and I believe someone is deliberately doing it using some type of highly advanced device, and I'm not hallucinating. (as this has been happening for past ~2 years)
If it's possible to generate random noise on remote locations(pass through solid objects) using such a device, do you think it might also be possible to cause vibration and pain is well? thank you.

If it's possible to generate random noise on remote locations (pass through solid objects) using such a device, do you think it might also be possible to cause vibration and pain is well? thank you.
That would be a whole other level of speculation. If I accept premises that are not demonstrable then I will come to conclusions that are not justified.

I have been hearing weird random noises/vibration(as well as pain) and I believe someone is deliberately doing it using some type of highly advanced device...
Sorry to hear that.
Do you have evidence to support the belief that these noises are being caused by some deliberate agency?
(The presence of the noises is not evidence of a specific cause of the noises.)

The way to get to the truth is not found by deciding what is correct then looking for ways it can work, which is what you are doing.
What you need to do is verify the phenomenon objectively - ie. by using a sound meter. When you have a hypothesis, try to disprove it.
Have you tried putting mattresses or foam rubber against the walls as sound insulation? It should be easy to disrupt/deaden the kind of effect you are thinking of by changing the characteristics of the walls. Just stapling egg cartons over the walls should work. The effect should also not follow you around - so just get up and move to another room.

Seriously: seek medical advise (have you seen a doctor?) - there are physiological conditions that can produce the symptoms you report that are not hallucinations. If left untreated, these symptoms only get worse and may be lethal depending on the ultimate cause.
(Ruling out hallucinations does not rue out other medical conditions.)

A device capable of what you describe... you would notice it being deployed (it would be big and require several people to set it up) and it would involve physics in it's construction that would win serious prizes. To forgo the money just to cause you pain and irritation is a serious grudge. Surely someone hates you that much can find easier and cheaper ways to inconvenience you? They could just punch you for example - or get someone else to do it. Happens all the time.

Likes William Ahn
William Ahn said:
The reason I made this thread is that I have been hearing weird random noises/vibration(as well as pain)
I would suggest a rational, analytical approach to verify it independently. Invite a friend over to stay for as long as it takes. See if they too can hear the noises and/or feel any pain.

But the first, most important thing - rule out physiological sources. Go to your doctor and verify that all is well with your body. You would be astonished at the number of ways your body can manifest sounds that seem external. And a physiological problem would also explain the pain.

Last edited:
Likes Simon Bridge
Since this thread has run its course we wish to thank everyone for their suggestions and help and advice to the OP to see his family doctor to rule out any possible physiological causes for this issue.

This thread is now closed.

1. Can sonic waves really generate noise and vibration on objects?

Yes, sonic waves are a type of sound wave that can create vibrations in objects. The vibrations are caused by the rapid changes in air pressure created by the sound waves.

2. How do sonic waves create noise and vibration?

Sonic waves travel through a medium, such as air, and cause the molecules in that medium to vibrate. These vibrations then transfer to nearby objects, creating noise and vibration.

3. Are there any specific types of objects that are more susceptible to sonic wave vibrations?

Yes, objects that are lightweight and have a resonant frequency that matches the frequency of the sonic waves are more likely to vibrate and create noise. For example, thin objects like glasses or plates may vibrate more easily than heavier objects like furniture.

4. Can sonic waves cause damage to objects?

Yes, high-intensity sonic waves can cause damage to objects by creating strong vibrations that exceed the object's structural integrity. This is why it's important to carefully control the intensity and frequency of sonic waves when using them to generate noise and vibration on objects.

5. Are there any practical applications for generating noise and vibration on objects with sonic waves?

Yes, sonic waves are used in various industries for cleaning, cutting, and welding objects. They can also be used for non-destructive testing and imaging in materials science and medical fields. In addition, sonic waves are used in musical instruments and speakers to create sound and vibrations for entertainment purposes.