Would like some particle physics textbook-reading advice

In summary: Unfortunately, I've been told that due to my lack of particle physics knowledge, I would be better off not attending any lectures and instead reading books on the subject. I have a friend who is a lecturer at uni and she recommended "QFT and the Standard Model" by Schwartz. I would really appreciate any advice on whether this is a good book to start with - I'm not sure if I should be focusing on topics or sequence.Thanks!In summary, I need to gain a cursory knowledge of QFT and particle physics in the space of two weeks. I borrowed "QFT and the Standard Model" by Schwartz, but I have no idea how I should approach it. Ideally, I would pour through every page, but I
WWCY
Hi all,

I am in a bit of a funny situation where I need to pick up at least a cursory knowledge of QFT and particle physics in the space of two weeks. I borrowed "QFT and the Standard Model" by Schwartz but I have no idea how I should approach it. Ideally I'd pour through every page, but I definitely do not have the time to do so. Could someone suggest the topics (and their sequence) I should be focusing on? This is a link to the contents page: https://schwartzqft.fas.harvard.edu/

This is the current background I have: I know a little bit about classical field theory (Lagrangian/Lagrangian densities and whatnot) and special relativity from a course in Classical Electrodynamics. I also know a tiny bit of QFT/QED in the form of the quantisation of the EM field, however this was only a small part in a far-more-general course.

Also, I have no knowledge of Group Theory, so some advice regarding what I should read from this book (Intro to tensors and group theory for physicists): https://www.springer.com/us/book/9783319147932 would be nice as well!

Thanks in advance!

PS Basically I will be attending some lectures on particle physics in the summer holidays and after looking through the slides, I realized that I had absolutely no idea about what was going on. It's slightly worrying as I do wish to learn something from these lectures.

I've attached the slides to the introductory lecture: https://indico.cern.ch/event/709526/attachments/1670640/2686573/intro_pp_18.pdf

Physics news on Phys.org
WWCY said:
Basically I will be attending some lectures on particle physics in the summer holidays and after looking through the slides, I realized that I had absolutely no idea about what was going on. It's slightly worrying as I do wish to learn something from these lectures.

I've attached the slides to the introductory lecture: https://indico.cern.ch/event/709526/attachments/1670640/2686573/intro_pp_18.pdf
I think that Schwartz is overkill for this.

The Prerequisites link on

https://indico.cern.ch/event/709526/

states "No pre-requisites; this is an introductory overview."

Click on the Recording link at the URL I give above, and watch the whole lecture to see for yourself. No need to know about, e.g., SU(3) beforehand.

If you do want to look at some books, I recommend "Modern Particle Physics" by Thomson and/or "Introduction to Elementary Particles" by Griffiths.

Likes WWCY and Demystifier
QFT is not something that can be grasped in two weeks. Since your course prerequisites don't mention anything significant, I will advise you not to study QFT in a hurry. You'll not be able to sense the beauty in the subject if you storm through it.

Rather, go through a few talks which are on particle physics so that you know at least something. Here are a few:

76-4cb725bd8171617485f69196687eeaca.jpg

795-64b2e71ed96a73022c9ca4f1c8bbfccd.jpg

6520-25d1533bf717c02338166d0113ee8fe8.jpg

A few more lectures are available in this playist:

Likes WWCY
Hi all, cheers for the advice, really appreciate it!

1. What is the best textbook for learning about particle physics?

The best textbook for learning about particle physics depends on your level of understanding and what specific topics you are interested in. Some popular options include "Introduction to Elementary Particles" by David Griffiths and "Particle Physics: A Very Short Introduction" by Frank Close.

2. How should I approach reading a particle physics textbook?

It is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics before diving into a particle physics textbook. Start by familiarizing yourself with the basic concepts and equations, and then move on to more advanced topics. It is also helpful to make use of online resources and practice problems to reinforce your understanding.

3. Are there any online resources that can supplement my textbook reading?

Yes, there are many online resources available to supplement your textbook reading. Some popular options include online lectures and tutorials, interactive simulations, and online forums where you can ask questions and discuss concepts with other students and experts.

4. How can I stay motivated while reading a particle physics textbook?

Particle physics can be a challenging subject, so it is important to stay motivated while reading a textbook. One way to do this is to set achievable goals for yourself, such as completing a certain number of chapters or practice problems each week. It can also be helpful to join a study group or find a study partner to keep you accountable and motivated.

5. Are there any tips for understanding complex concepts in particle physics?

One tip for understanding complex concepts in particle physics is to break them down into smaller, more manageable parts. Start by understanding the basic principles and then build upon them to understand more complex ideas. It can also be helpful to make use of visual aids, such as diagrams and illustrations, to better understand abstract concepts.