Would neutrinosynthesis be physically possible for a lifeform to have?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
SpeedOfLightYagami
Messages
3
Reaction score
1
It's fascinating how all photosynthesis (the food of plants) requires is sunlight. If neutrinos are everywhere, could neutrinosynthesis be possible if an organism evolved to have it? Or are they too simple to have an appreciable effect on a lifeform?
 
Biology news on Phys.org
You would first have to figure out how/if they could
  • detect it
  • interact with it
  • extract energy from it.

I don't mean consciously; I mean they would need to have some organ or molecule that would stop/absorb neutrinos before they could leverage it for any purpose.

Neutrinos are notoriously ephemeral. They pass through planets; what could a critter - who is, after all, made of planet stuff - do about it?
 
Unless the neutrino flux is so absurdly high that interactions between neutrinos and the organism happens on a regular basis, i.e. thousands of times a second, I don’t see it being a viable energy source. And if your neutrino flux is that high, then you probably have way bigger problems. 🤣

Aside from that, what’s the type of energy released by a neutrino interacting with something? A flash of ultra faint light? A burst of radiation and particles? I don’t remember off the top of my head but I don’t think it’s a viable energy source for a life form.
 
SpeedOfLightYagami said:
If neutrinos are everywhere, could neutrinosynthesis be possible if an organism evolved to have it?
So please read more about neutrinos and their reaction cross-section with ordinary matter (extremely small). Once you do that reading, I think you will understand why your speculative idea could not work. This thread is closed for now because of the speculation. Keep asking good questions, but only after you have done the searching and reading of technical articles. Thanks :smile:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutrino
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre and phinds