Would you have created conscious beings if it were up to you?

• Thread starter Thrilho
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses whether or not the participants would create conscious beings or highly complex automata if given the choice. Some believe that the universe needs to be experienced, even if there is evil, while others argue that the concept of good and evil is subjective and without one, the other loses meaning. Some suggest using a computer simulation to explore different scenarios, while others prefer to let nature take its course. Ultimately, the conversation ends with one participant stating that they have already created conscious beings in a mutually creative way through their children and grandchildren.

If you could somehow choose to create conscious beings or not, would you?

• Yes. This wonderful Universe needs to be experienced, even if there is evil.

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • No. There would be no evil, no worries and peacefulness for eternity.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • What? I thought I was living in the matrix. (No)

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Are you kidding, there would be no sex!? (Yes)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Thrilho
If you somehow had control over whether or not you would create conscious beings (or highly complex automata able to "experience"), would you create them?

I wouldn't. Of course, being the conscious being I am, if I were to stumble upon some magical button which, when pressed, would terminate all conscious beings in the Universe, I would find it hard to press it.
Firstly, because I have a biologically-given aversion to death.
Secondly, because even though there is much evil on Earth, I am sure the majority of conscious beings want to live.

But I mean before we all existed. Before any conscious being existed. Would you create them or not?

Post your thoughts.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would create them if I could make them all nice. I guess if I had that kind of power, I could make them the way I wanted.

I votes "yes" although I do not fully agree with "Yes. This wonderful Universe needs to be experienced, even if there is evil.". Actually, I'd rather go for "Yes. This wonderful Universe needs to be experienced, especially if there is evil."

Ideally I would like to be able to run the whole thing on a computer, so that I can simulate many "Earth-like histories". See how often you get genocides over time, how and why they appear, whether they tend to appear only at some point in the history of a society (like, right when we can) and then tend not to happen afterwards... eventually I might find some use for our single shot at a civilization and even maybe a Nobel prize for peace (this is purely selfish).

Hi,
I think theoretically we can create entities that are even more conscious than us.

Is this a question of consciousness or perceived evil? I see little point in creation if it cannot be witnessed. Evil is an abstract thought. Without it we could never have good. These are just two labels we created in order to place a scaled perception on what we experience.

If we lived in a "perfect" existence where bad never occurred then we might as well not live at all. We'd be oblivious to the fact that our lives were good because we'd have no basis for judgement. It's just a created concept, that's it. Even without war, rape, drugs, murder or any of the other countless things that people consider "evil" we'd still have to find something to apply the concept of the label to. The closer the two concepts come to one another the less meaning they have. I personally wouldn't want to live in a world where good and evil didn't have clearly defined differences. Zombies of Indifference.

I would say no. I'd rather let nature take its course. If the circumstances were right for conscious beings, then sure. If they weren't, that's cool too.

Thrilho said:
If you somehow had control over whether or not you would create conscious beings (or highly complex automata able to "experience"), would you create them?

I wouldn't. Of course, being the conscious being I am, if I were to stumble upon some magical button which, when pressed, would terminate all conscious beings in the Universe, I would find it hard to press it.

In a mutually sort of creative way I have already done it and my children and grandchildren are evidence of that.I did not, however, use a magical button.

:smile:

Dadface said:
In a mutually sort of creative way I have already done it and my children and grandchildren are evidence of that.I did not, however, use a magical button.

:smile:

I'm a Dad too, so yes.

1. What is the purpose of creating conscious beings?

The purpose of creating conscious beings is to allow for the exploration and understanding of the world around us. Conscious beings have the ability to think, reason, and make choices, which can lead to the development of new ideas and advancements. Additionally, creating conscious beings can also bring about a sense of connection and community among individuals.

2. How do you define consciousness?

Consciousness can be defined as the state of being aware of one's thoughts, feelings, and surroundings. It is the ability to perceive and process information, make decisions, and have a sense of self-awareness. Conscious beings have a level of consciousness that allows them to think, feel, and experience the world around them.

3. What factors influenced your decision to create conscious beings?

As a scientist, my decision to create conscious beings was based on a combination of factors. These may include curiosity about the potential of conscious beings, a desire to understand the nature of consciousness, and the possibility of creating a more advanced and complex world. Additionally, ethical considerations and the potential benefits of conscious beings may have also played a role in the decision-making process.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks to creating conscious beings?

As with any creation, there are potential drawbacks to creating conscious beings. One of the main concerns is the responsibility that comes with creating beings capable of making their own choices and potentially causing harm to themselves or others. Additionally, there may be ethical considerations when it comes to the treatment and rights of conscious beings.

5. How can we ensure the well-being of conscious beings?

Ensuring the well-being of conscious beings involves creating a society and environment that values their existence and respects their rights. This includes providing access to resources, education, and opportunities for growth and development. It also involves promoting empathy and compassion towards all conscious beings and addressing any potential threats to their well-being. As creators, we have a responsibility to continuously strive towards the betterment and protection of all conscious beings.