Writing equation from a description

• MHB
  • Thread starter Joystar77
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Writing
In summary, the result of multiplying 2 by x plus y times 3 plus 5 times z is equal to 10. There may be different ways to interpret this equation, but one possible way is to multiply everything after "by" by 2 and then simplify the equation. However, without more information, we cannot determine the exact way to solve this algebra problem.
Joystar77
The result of multiplying 2 by x plus y times 3 plus 5 times z is equal to 10.

2x + y * 3 + 5 * z = 10

2x + 3y + 5z = 10

or

2 (x + y * 3 + 5 * z) = 10

2x + 2y + 6 + 10 + 2z = 10

2x + 2y + 16 + 2z = 10

Can someone please check this for me and tell me which way is right? I forgot how to do these type of problems.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Correct way of doing Algebra Problem

Given the way this is stated I think we can reason that "by" means to multiply everything that follows by 2, since for the other terms multiplication is written as "times". There should be a reason that they used a different word for multiplication.

For the rest of the equation we have to assume that nothing is grouped in a certain way outside of the order of operations (PEMDAS) since we have such little information.

So I agree with this interpretation you wrote:

2 (x + y * 3 + 5 * z) = 10

You can simplify that some by getting all terms without a variable to the right side but other than that you can't do anything else.

What is the process for writing an equation from a description?

The process for writing an equation from a description involves first identifying the key variables and their relationships in the problem. Then, use mathematical operations to represent these variables and their interactions in the form of an equation. Finally, solve the equation to find the solution to the problem.

How do I know which variables to include in the equation?

Look for keywords in the description such as "per", "each", "total", "sum", "difference", "product", etc. These words often indicate the mathematical operations and variables involved in the problem. Also, pay attention to units of measurement and make sure all variables have the same units.

Can I use any mathematical operations to write the equation?

Yes, you can use any mathematical operation that accurately represents the relationship between the variables in the problem. Common operations include addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and exponentiation.

Do I need to include units in the equation?

Ideally, yes. Including units in the equation helps to make the answer more meaningful and understandable. However, if all variables have the same units, you can omit them from the equation.

What should I do if the description is unclear or incomplete?

If the description is unclear or incomplete, you may need to ask for clarification or make assumptions based on the given information. Just make sure to clearly state any assumptions you make and how they may affect the equation and solution.