Constructing A Differential Equation From A Solution Set

In summary, the conversation is about solving a differential equation and determining the roots for the c3 and c4 terms in the given solution. The person is unsure if the root for these terms is just k=0 and is seeking clarification on whether their solution is correct. Another person mentions that if the solution of the differential equation matches the given one, then the problem is solved.
Baumer8993

Homework Statement

y = c1e3xcos(2x)+c2e3xsin(2x)+c3+c4x

Homework Equations

Differential Equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble what the roots are for the c3, and c4 parts. I know they are a repeated root, but is it just k= 0? It seems like it would work, but I am not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
Baumer8993 said:

Homework Statement

y = c1e3xcos(2x)+c2e3xsin(2x)+c3+c4x

Homework Equations

Differential Equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble what the roots are for the c3, and c4 parts. I know they are a repeated root, but is it just k= 0? It seems like it would work, but I am not sure.

You are on the right track. What is the differential equation you got? If the solution of it agrees with the given one, you solved the problem.

ehild

Likes 1 person

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates the values of a function to its derivatives. It is commonly used to model processes that involve rates of change, such as the growth of populations or the flow of electricity.

What is a solution set?

A solution set is a collection of all possible solutions to a given differential equation. These solutions can be in the form of a function or a set of values that satisfy the equation.

How do you construct a differential equation from a solution set?

To construct a differential equation from a solution set, you need to identify the independent and dependent variables, as well as the derivatives involved. Then, you can use the basic rules of differentiation to create an equation that relates the variables and their derivatives.

What are some common methods for constructing differential equations from solution sets?

Some common methods for constructing differential equations from solution sets include separation of variables, substitution, and finding the general solution using integration. These methods involve manipulating the given solution set to create an equation that satisfies the given conditions.

Why is constructing a differential equation from a solution set important?

Constructing a differential equation from a solution set is important because it allows us to model and understand real-world phenomena. These equations can help us make predictions and solve problems related to rates of change, making them a valuable tool in many scientific fields.