Writing equations on cornflakes packets?

• Thread starter tiny-tim
  • Start date
tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Main Question or Discussion Point

Does anyone else write equations on cornflakes packets?

When I've eaten all the cornflakes, I separate the seams of the packet by running a finger down them, and flatten out the cardboard into the huge rectangle it started as.

Then the rough blank side is a nice solid surface for writing equations on, and it didn't cost me anything! :smile:

And it has several very wide margins for afterthoughts!

(And when I throw it away, it takes up much less room in the trash than if I hadn't straightened it out.)

Or … they can be given to small children … to keep them quiet … :smile:

Answers and Replies

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Then the rough blank side is a nice solid surface for writing equations on, and it didn't cost me anything! :smile:
It costs you a packet of cornflakes at least.

dst
Yes, I had a magnificent Theory of Everything, alas, it was too large to fit into the margin.

Then don't die too soon.

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yes, I had a magnificent Theory of Everything, alas, it was too large to fit into the margin.
Keep working on it until you have something that can be written on a cornflake. :smile:

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The quantum cornflake.

dst whats your theory on everything ?

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
dst whats your theory on everything ?
He doesn't really have a theory; it's a parody of Fermat's Last Theorem ("I have a proof but this margin is too small to contain it")

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
:rolleyes: I checked out dst's proof …
:biggrin: it's both corny and flaky! :biggrin:

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Alfi
groan indeed

I like to write some big impressive looking equation on the paper place mats at bars and make sure an equal sign ends up getting placed just at the edge :)

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I like to write some big impressive looking equation on the paper place mats at bars and make sure an equal sign ends up getting placed just at the edge :)
I think they're called Fer-mats! :biggrin:

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
If I'm out at a reastaurant, I'll scribble on a paper napkin or in some restaurants that use paper to cover the table, I'll scribble on the paper and then at the end of dinner, I'll tear off the section of paper on which I write. They through that away anyway.

Of course, if I don't have paper I'll write notes in my palm or on my forearm. :uhh: :biggrin: