Writing equations on cornflakes packets?

• Thread starter tiny-tim
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Writing
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of writing equations on unconventional surfaces, such as cornflakes packets, paper place mats, and even one's own body. Some participants have found creative ways to save money and utilize space, while others use it as a form of entertainment or to show off their knowledge.
tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Does anyone else write equations on cornflakes packets?

When I've eaten all the cornflakes, I separate the seams of the packet by running a finger down them, and flatten out the cardboard into the huge rectangle it started as.

Then the rough blank side is a nice solid surface for writing equations on, and it didn't cost me anything! :smile:

And it has several very wide margins for afterthoughts!

(And when I throw it away, it takes up much less room in the trash than if I hadn't straightened it out.)

Or … they can be given to small children … to keep them quiet … :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
tiny-tim said:
Then the rough blank side is a nice solid surface for writing equations on, and it didn't cost me anything! :smile:

It costs you a packet of cornflakes at least.

Yes, I had a magnificent Theory of Everything, alas, it was too large to fit into the margin.

Then don't die too soon.

dst said:
Yes, I had a magnificent Theory of Everything, alas, it was too large to fit into the margin.

Keep working on it until you have something that can be written on a cornflake. :smile:

The quantum cornflake.

dst what's your theory on everything ?

Blackout-Bill said:
dst what's your theory on everything ?

He doesn't really have a theory; it's a parody of Fermat's Last Theorem ("I have a proof but this margin is too small to contain it")

:rolleyes: I checked out dst's proof …
:biggrin: it's both corny and flaky! :biggrin:

tiny-tim said:
:rolleyes: I checked out dst's proof …
:biggrin: it's both corny and flaky! :biggrin:

Hmm.. wheres that "groan" smilie again :uhh:

groan indeed
I like to write some big impressive looking equation on the paper place mats at bars and make sure an equal sign ends up getting placed just at the edge :)

Alfi said:
I like to write some big impressive looking equation on the paper place mats at bars and make sure an equal sign ends up getting placed just at the edge :)

I think they're called Fer-mats! :biggrin:

If I'm out at a reastaurant, I'll scribble on a paper napkin or in some restaurants that use paper to cover the table, I'll scribble on the paper and then at the end of dinner, I'll tear off the section of paper on which I write. They through that away anyway.

Of course, if I don't have paper I'll write notes in my palm or on my forearm. :uhh: :biggrin:

1. How do you write an equation on a cornflakes packet?

To write an equation on a cornflakes packet, you will need to use a permanent marker or pen. Start by determining the area of the packet where you want to write the equation. Then, use the marker to carefully write out the equation, making sure to use clear and legible handwriting.

2. What kind of equations can you write on cornflakes packets?

You can write any type of equation on a cornflakes packet, as long as it fits within the available space. This can include basic arithmetic equations, algebraic equations, or even more complex mathematical equations.

3. Why would someone want to write an equation on a cornflakes packet?

Writing equations on cornflakes packets can serve as a fun and creative way to practice math skills. It can also be a unique and engaging way to spark curiosity and interest in mathematics for both children and adults.

4. Can you erase the equation once it's written on the cornflakes packet?

No, since you are using a permanent marker or pen, you will not be able to erase the equation once it is written on the cornflakes packet. However, you can cover it up with a new equation or simply enjoy the equation as a decorative addition to the packet.

5. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when writing equations on cornflakes packets?

Yes, it is important to use a permanent marker or pen in a well-ventilated area and avoid inhaling any fumes. Also, make sure to use caution and avoid getting the marker or pen on your skin or clothing. Finally, always remember to close the marker or pen tightly after use to avoid accidental spills or stains.