1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Writing Mathematical Formula in MS Word

1. Feb 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm writing up a mathematics-based assignment and I want to type some formula into a MS Word document.

I'd appreciate if anyone could let me know how to go about this.

Thank you.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2012 #2

hotvette

Homework Helper

If this is a one time thing you can get by with the built-in Equation editor (Insert-Object-Microsoft Equation 3.0). I remember seeing something about an add-in equation editor (can't remember the name) that might or might not be any better than the one that comes with MS Word. If this is the first of many, I'd invest time to install and learn LaTex.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  4. Feb 23, 2012 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Personally, I use LaTeX all the time, but if I were starting out I would go with LyX (freely downloadable). Composing in LyX is like composing in WORD, in that you see right away on the screen the actual symbols entered; these need not be memorized, but can be inserted by clicking on entries in pallettes. Inserting graphics is easy as well. The final document is typeset using LaTeX, so you do end up having all the LaTeX power available. I think it acts much like a free version of Scientific Word.

RGV

5. Feb 23, 2012 #4
  6. Feb 24, 2012 #5
    That's great, thanks very much guys. Much appreciated!

7. Feb 24, 2012 #6
    I've located the "Insert" tab and then "Object".

The college PCs I'm using don't appear to have the Equation editor shown in your screen dump.

Possibly that eqn editor isn't just part & parcel of Word. Perhaps its an add-on. I'll have a look at some other PCs.

PS I've just located it. For some reason, tha title of that particular program is in French in "Word" on this PC, which is why I didn't immediately locate it.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  8. Feb 24, 2012 #7
    Yeah Latex is like heaven when dealing with mathematical equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook